Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

anyone know if the engine in a Honda Bros/Hawk GT is the same as the one in a RD03 ?

Both bikes seem to have started around '88 so I wondered if they were the same.

My mate has a French import RD03 but the motor is shot so he is looking for a replacement.

cheers, Bob....

·
Registered
359 Posts
boboneleg said:
Hi,

anyone know if the engine in a Honda Bros/Hawk GT is the same as the one in a RD03 ?

My mate has a French import RD03 but the motor is shot so he is looking for a replacement.

cheers, Bob....
Well... this should be interesting. I was told that the NT Hawk uses the exact same motor. I'm not totally sure, but I've been keeping my eyes open for any cheap Hawk bikes should they come up. Sadly, these bikes over here are pretty hard to find... and that makes them worth more than they should. Much like the Transalp bikes.

So... who knows for sure on this? 8)

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is interesting isn't it Mod. Your Hawk is the same as a Bros on this side of the pond so I reckon it could be the same motor. I beleive I'm right in saying that the Transalp lump is different to the RD03 (apart from the obvious 50cc difference).

cheers, Bob.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yes it is interesting isn't it Mod. Your Hawk is the same as a Bros on this side of the pond so I reckon it could be the same motor. I beleive I'm right in saying that the Transalp lump is different to the RD03 (apart from the obvious 50cc difference).

cheers, Bob.

Yes, but surely they're all based on the same old lump.

Can't see that fitting would be a problem from any donor bike, be it 600 or 650 (or 750 for that matter!).
Unless it's a shaftie of course :?

Phil

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
I'd go with Bugs Bunny, there have been reports of a few 750cc engines being shoe-horned into RD03 frames and the 650 TA can't be that much different from an RD03, different carb's, but I guess you could keep with a TA exhaust, problems would arise if the engine mounting lugs were drastically different especially if they were much further forwards.
Nothing new in this idea I seem to remember guys shoe-horning Triumph Trident and bigger engines into the Norton Commando "featherbed" frame...but then I am an old git.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

cheers, Bob....
Hi,
Yep, the Hawk is the RD03 motor built for the American market. Have a look at a website called Hordpower (v-twins) in America. He's a tuner of the Hawk motor and other v-twins and he responds to questions about the motor.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
Yep, the Hawk is the RD03 motor built for the American market. Have a look at a website called Hordpower (v-twins) in America. He's a tuner of the Hawk motor and other v-twins and he responds to questions about the motor.

Ok, the engine has been rebuilt now and runs fine but that could be an interesting link for further questions.

cheers :wav:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts