Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my RD03 off the road whilst I sort out some of its problems including slipping clutch in top. The bike has probably only done 1000 miles since the clutch plates etc were replaced for the previous owner (have receipts).
Have done some of the easy replacements, new motorcycle oil, HD springs and checking the cable is free, now going to dig deeper to look at the plates for thickness and condition and clutch basket for burrs.
AT Clutch.jpg
Somewhere I read that the boss on the underside of the clutch basket (part #4) could cause interference and prevent full clamping of the clutch with some sets of clutch plates. The cure was to shave the boss slightly, by how much? Have done a search on xrv but cannot find it, can anyone point me to the post or was it elsewhere (advrider?)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Do not know about shaving the boss, but there are a few things to check:

- Do you have enough free play in the clutch leaver? It's essential to have free play even when the engine has reached it's working temp.
- The clutchwire could be well passed its best, stickin/binding and causing the clutch to slip.
- The clutch could be wrongly buildt, as per photos.

Wrong:

Right:

Clue, look at the top friction plate. The "cogs" of that top friction plate must be placed not as the others, but into it own notches.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sounds daft, but have you checked that the cutch cable isn't siezed? They do sieze, but not completely, so often a slipping clutch can be caused by the cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts