Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advise on my engine.
Jack failed while working on the restoration and back end of bike came crashing down on itself.
The shock was out of the bike as well as the swing arm links, so when the jack failed there was nothing to hold the bike's end....

When I was back to work on the resto I noticed this....

So am I screwed and need a new case?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Looking at that i would say yes you need a new casing i'm afraid.:( Are you sure the impact caused it as i can't see any marks on the casing which would have caused the crack.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What does the bottom of the engine look like?
Thats, the part that will touch the ground and transfer the shock through the case to the first case bolt where it split.
Engine out and split to fix that.
Its always a good idea to have an additional means of propping a bike up, never rely on a jack.
In this case it was only your engine, if it was a car it could be much worse if you were underneath.
I have used rope run over the ceiling joists to support bikes, Plastic crates etc.
Anything that won't fail suddenly.

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts
Hmmmmm, first thought is, will it leak oil?

It may be that the split is on a part of the crankcase that doesn't actually have oil on the other side of it, I.e is part of an external web, so is dry both sides.

I'm 99% sure I've seen a picture of a similar crack on an AT engine on the forum before. Not sure how that was addressed/resolved.

It might be something you could live with, depending ultimately on what you intend to do with the bike, or worst case, a tear down to replace that side of the crankcase. There was a parted RD03 engine being sold on UK eBay, possibly by a seller called Ray of Enduro spares, so he might be able to assist with parts.

Good luck

Bob

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for this Bob!

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
The saga of the rebuild continues.....
LOL

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My RD03 engine is on a dolly. I will check if it has a casting mark that looks like that. Otherwise, the picture would indicate a cracked casting.

Lee

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Great news Murray. My engine has the exact same mark. It is not a crack, just a casting "flaw". It is straight, goes from the bolt's head to the sipping hole where both casing halves meet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The case has some other "blemishes" to the casting so I was really hoping.
Here is the first one I discovered that caused me grief until GSPD put me at ease....

Thanks again Lee!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone

Hope someone is still watching this thread, I stumbled upon it in the late hours last night. I have a 1988 AT RD03 that I am busy getting ready/ not restoring but rather just preserving it. While I was cleaning the bike I saw the same crack in the left hand side case - just above the oil filter - my heart sank. I could not believe it as the bike is in very good condition and low kilometers on the clock. Can anybody confirm that this is, as stated earlier on this thread, a "normal" thing?

Anyone with any advice/ knowledge on this and the bike, please help. Here in South Africa these bikes are rare - so it is really hard to find knowledge/ experience.

Thanks in advance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts