Honda XRV Forum banner

RD03 escapes jail after 10 years update

930 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Emm 
#1 ·
Hi all, I’ve been using the forum and old posts to go through all the fab AT wisdom and knowledge and just thought I should say hi and show why we all admire the build qualities of the early twins. Just took my June 88 RD03 out of it’s shed jail after 10 years in the dark. Don’t ask why I haven’t used it but kids, home renovations and marriage meant in lay unused for the last 10 years. Apart from some light surface rust in a few places and a quick wash down I think it’s in remarkable shape for a 32 year old bike that wasn’t stored in a perfectly dry shed either, with birds flying in a out etc. I’m stripping it down now for a light rolling tidy up and restoration over the winter months. Haven’t started it up yet but it was running sweetly before going to jail and it did have a full service so all the fluids were good before storage. I also did drain the carbs before the lay up so hopefully after a good service now it should be good. Is there anything particular I should change / replace on an AT that’s been stood for so long ? All in all I’m hugely impressed with the build quality of the RD03. There’s also a 82 CB750 F and BMW GS in the shed and they are not looking quite as good in prison. Heart said fix up the AT first so that also tells you something about these bikes that gets to you.

Are there many other early AT’s in Ireland by the way, haven’t seen any on the road for years.
Hopefully I can load a few pics up to show how she survived.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Lovely specimen. If you clean the carbs be careful with the needle jets. It is the only thing the Keyster carbs kit does not provide and are rare to find

#7 · (Edited)
Finished the rolling restoration of the RD03. Jez you need some tiny hands to get into some of those tight places like fuel pump and carbs but the bike was a pleasure to work on and the overall build quality is amazing. No rust on the frame etc you could tell they were made very well. The handle bars were the only area that really showed corrosion and rust so they got repainted. Added some new crash bars and a centre stand from heavy duties for easy maintenance etc. Really looking forward to warmer spring weather to get her back out on the road again but at least lockdown was great for fixing bikes !!

Short video running.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.