Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My current sprocket setup is -1 front and +3 in the rear. I like this, but I'd like to get better mileage on the road and I want an OEM 16T front for reduced wear on the shaft. Thinking of changing my chain and go to just +1 in the rear or should I go with the stock 46 tooth rear sprocket?

·
Registered
450 Posts
On a RD03 the stock rear is 49T & 16T front

I changed to 47T rear with the Honda 16T on the front, it’s much better I think.

On Highway it crises at 100kph & 4.5k rpm instead of 5k and off road in difficult situations you still have lots of low end power.

I changed to this setup along time ago and wouldn’t to back unless I was going to to the Dakar ;)

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice. I thought the rear was 46 stock. I must have a short chain on it now. With the 15T up front and adjusted all the way forward it was still too tight and I think is causing a bit of spline wear on the shaft. I have a spare motor with 97Kkms on it with virtually no shaft wear. My bike is sitting at 99K and change now. Is there an OEM 15T that has the rubber cush like the OEM 16T?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice. I thought the rear was 46 stock. I must have a short chain on it now. With the 15T up front and adjusted all the way forward it was still too tight and I think is causing a bit of spline wear on the shaft. I have a spare motor with 97Kkms on it with virtually no shaft wear. My bike is sitting at 99K and change now. Is there an OEM 15T that has the rubber cush like the OEM 16T?
The DID chain is the best match for the Africa Twin.

All the Africa twins have different size front & rear Sprocket but the RD03 has the biggest rear.

I’m not sure if you can find a 15t Honda front sprocket for the RD03, it would need to be the stock Sprocket from another Bike with the same shaft.

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to the chart my 15/49 is 3.27, 16/47 is 2.94 and the stock 16/49 is 3.06.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts