Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am in the process of rebuilding an old grandma, my RD03 that I bought 10 years ago for a trip to Magadan.
That trip never happen since I got married (haha, it is not funny, it might happen to you too).

This winter I started a hidden project, my dream bike restoration. I improvised a small garage at the technical floor so I will have to carry the bike 11 floors down.

So, the problem looks like this.

- RD03 frame and tank - sand blasted and electrostatic painted;

- RD03 engine - works perferct, I won't touch it;

- SHOWA CRF 450 fork - machined and on the way for servicing an installing 52 springs;

- LC4 KTM rear shock - suspension bones modified, on the way for servicing too;

- Rear part - I will stay with the original

- Plastics - I bought a Boano copy from fiberglass;

- Rear tank - I will order a supplementary 20 l tank for the back (I never ride with passenger so I can also cut the saddle)

- Computer - Most probably I will order from Trailtech;

- Fuel pump - I have to buy a Facet 40105;

- Panniers - I always used aluminum ones but now I will go for textile;

I also attached a picture with the bike that I used for testing the suspension. Very very happy with the setup.

Sorry for my English.

I will post here all the steps and problems that I will encounter.

Best regards,

Andrei

Attachments

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
157 Posts
That looks a great project. Keep posting as you progress with it. Always good to see a build thread:thumb:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
While the engine is dry and easily accessible, perhaps you could change the two o-rings at the coolant crossover tube between the two cylinders. It is probably dry and will leak. Changing the seals is as easy as popping the clips, sliding the sleeve to one side, change the rig, slide the sleeve the other side, change the other ring, recenter the sleeve, put the clips back. Shall take 10 minutes of your life and save you from an overheating engine...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestion. I will definetly replace them. I suppose those are special Orings, should I order them from Honda? I also checked the distribution chains, they look ok, almost on the limit but that meas a lot of km more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,

I managed to work a couple of hours Yesterday and I can see some progress.
I replaced the Orings from the cooling pipes, as suggested. I used normal ones, not from Honda, I hope they will last.
Engine is in the frame, the swing arm the same. I packed the fork and rear shock, I will have them back in 2 weeks. Forks (CRF 450) will receive 52 grade springs, rear shock (LC4) I am not sure yes, but definitely a stronger spring.
Swing arm bones are reconditioned, including the bearings. The fairing received a layer of fiberglass because I was not happy with the strength.

Today I hope I will clean the tank and fill it with a mix of gasoline and oil and them put it on the bike to see how the fairing goes.
So far, no problems at all.

Have a great week ahead.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whhooaaaaaaaaaaa, that would be an beauty - You are pretty talented engineer sir, keep us updated about your project!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts