Registered
236 Posts
Re: RD03 Rebuild

Nice.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Very nice bike. I love seeing these get restored and used. :thumbright: I see you have a heatshild for the downpipes that I am missing (Closest to the head). Do you know any bikes that use the same heatshield?

- Erling

·
I can ride all day.
362 Posts

Very nice bike. I love seeing these get restored and used. :thumbright: I see you have a heatshild for the downpipes that I am missing (Closest to the head). Do you know any bikes that use the same heatshield?

- Erling
Couldn't be sure. But looks the same as the one rd07

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not done much recently to the AT looking for a rear wheel or a set of cast tubeless wheels like from a XL1000V Varadero or something, unless my spare 125 Varadero rear wheel fits, chain line is probably too narrow though.

Bought a few parts just don't have space to work on the AT as the NTV650 and C90 are in the way until I pass my MOD2 and sell the Varadero 125

·
Registered
8 Posts

My RD03 is not so much a restoration as building it up for use & abuse. Fabricated a footpeg extension today, quite chuffed with the result as it will make standing for longer spells much more comfy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

A neat, tidy job, that. I hadn't realised how pointed the teeth on the original are until I saw them next to your new part, they look like sprocket teeth. I reckon yours will be much more forgiving.

·
Registered
8 Posts

For info: I bought a copy of a Honda XRV650 workshop manual incl a colour A2 size wiring diagram and a owners manual via eBay from Italy. Alberto can make more if needed. Contact him on Alberto Migliore • [email protected]

If memory serves I think I paid 73€ for it incl carriage

BTW I have no connection with him apart from buying the docs, it's just been very useful when setting things up and fixing stuff that was already "fixed" by someone else, especially the electrical stuff.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)

The rebuild hasn't seen much progress so far, have rebuild the rear brake and fitted braided hoses. Front brake master cylinder washer is stuck so can't get the piston out, though the piston is free to move. I bought a set of VFR400 calipers, used the left handed rear on my RC33 NTV650P, going to use the front left on my RD03.

Need to remove the engine and fit the Bros 400 output shaft at the end of the month.
I've also just bought a gold CRF1000 rear wheel, going to remove the rim and lace it up to my RD03 hub.
I already have a spare 21" gold front wheel from a Transalp, which I have fitted a brake disc from a ST1100 Pan Euro.
I found a section of 304 stainless the right size and bend for the exhaust.
I am fitting an almost new FH020CA MOSFET RR from a crashed BMW, with sealed plugs and upgraded wiring.
Have a Hepco rear rack I need to modify to Give/Kappa PL/KL fitment to take my Kappa K-Venture KVE37A boxes
I picked up a Touratech IMO 100r300 rallye computer which I'll fit once the bike is back on the road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Output shaft will be fitted in the next couple of weeks.
There just hasn't been enough space in my current storage lock up to take the engine out and strip it as it was only a 6ft long partial shipping container, my new one is a full 20ft shipping container so I have room to work as the old one has had three bikes and lots of parts and camping gear in it.
I have changed the wheels, it now has a XL600V front and NX650 rear, NX650 front brake with Hel hose and ST1100A brake disk, Rear Brake was ok just fitted a Hel hose and needs new disc and pads, Tyres are temporary and will be changed before MOT/Inspection rear is a 5yr old, plugged Tourance from my XL125V and the front is a 19yr old Conti TK16 Tour.

Old wheels were wrecked, front one is so corroded inside it looks like it has been attacked with Gallium or Mercury, there are fiber like strands of corroded aluminium inside the rim.
I don't know how the front disc was dished outwards but I have had to fit a new caliper bracket and caliper, there was two washers between the spacer and the fork leg on the disc side though.
Rear one is split and badly corroded, hub is salvagable though.

Sanded the rust from under the throttle tube and replaced the throttle tube, fitted Touratech IMO 100R300, Rallye switch, Sport Kontrol Lamp, Garmin 595 in TT holder, KTM 1190 mirrors, Acerbis Rally Pro handguards. IMO and Zumo could do with being mounted above the clocks.

Mocked up a link pipe from a 304 Stainless steel bend, just needs shortening and slits to clamp it to the collector with a graphite collar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Shortened the rear indicator stems, cast new stems with PU sealant

Started fitting Scottoiler eSystem

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Bought a Touratech Kahedo single seat and rack from a RD07 hoping it would fit or be easily modified to fit.

Looked like is would be a close fit, until I fitted the rear fairing and it is nowhere near close to the lines of the bike.

Bought a taller Givi Screen and an unknown taller flip screen.

Reactions: TheSheep and een705

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Engine is now out and stripped.
engineout.jpg

cylinder.jpg

Gearbox shaft matches just needs old bearing pressed off 2nd gear swapping, then will need a new bearing pressed on.
countershafts.jpg

Bought TKC80's for now, might get Pirelli Scorpion Trails for most of the time and use the TKC for off road and shows.
tyres.jpg

Bought replacement rear fairings, they are candy red and the tool box had been deleted, didn't like the tool box anyway, just need repainting back to standard.
s-l1600.jpg

Bought a old Corbin Transalp seat that fits better, just needs a slight alteration to the bracket and I'm thinking of recovering it in sheepskin.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Fitted a Transalp XL700V8A rear brake disc.
xl700disk.jpg

I need to order output shaft and gear change seals, new heavy duty tubes, chain, battery and control cables.

I want to fabricate adapter plates to fit SW Motech EVO pannier hoops to a Givi Wingrack mounting kit so I can fit my Kappa K-Venture 37a Panniers as I don't like Givi Trekker 33's on Wingrack.
wingrack2.jpg

wingrack3.jpg
wingrack4.jpg

I'm looking for crash bars, I would like an upper and lower set but trying to contact Riky Cross seems slow, he's told me he has some (in Italian, which is hard to translate using facebook messenger) but he hasn't replied when I asked how much, and gave my shipping address.

Has anyone dealt with him recently with and I've read of issues. Might just get the lowers from Rugged Roads.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts