Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really used as much care as I could. But I suspect these carbs were never cleaned in 32 years. And both needle jets were so seized that snapped as soon as I applied some pressure: great...
I was thinking next week-end to briefly go in the garden with the blow torch to try to loosen up the studs but I can see nearby another (fixed) needle that seems in brass I fear to damage.
Any suggestion on how to get out of this would be greatly appreciated :(

20200402_204545.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could try soaking it well with penetrating fluid overnight. Then use a small size EZ-Out (screw extractor). Maybe try heating up the casting around the jet by holding it over a candle before you attempt the screw extractor.

Good Luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
In similiar cicumstances I have had a lot of success tapping a male Torx driver, or at pinch an allan key, into the broken part and then unscrewing it. I find eze outs, because they are tappered, tend to swell the broken part making it even tighter in the thread. A little bit of heat will help. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After lockdown, and a few shy attempt as suggested above, I feared to damage the carb, no replacement on the market, so I decided to leave to my trustworthy mechanic, that has more tools and experience than me. That was the final
20200605_112507.jpg
20200605_112455.jpg
20200605_112507.jpg
20200605_112455.jpg
20200605_112441.jpg
20200605_112415.jpg
result. The seizing was as such that removal of old brass took also some threading, leaving areas weak.
Also the corrosion is bad, despite keeping it soaked 24 hours still does not look good.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And, during this time, to my horror, I found out that the handy replacement carbs kit from Keyster, does not include needle jets, long discontinued. I could not believe it. Is there no market for that stuff?
Very VERY luckily I found out that the same needle jets were used for the VT500, a popular model in USA at the time. And thanks to eBay, God bless it, here they are, from a US breaker
20200514_170301.jpg
. Even cheap. They could have been sold as if they were made of gold to me

I can finally rebuild and ride, while i find a spare pair of carbs in better condition.
Lesson: do not leave the carbs to rot like that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts