Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

My commuter hack failed it's MOT on the bearing where the rear shock joins the linkage.

I took it home and pulled it apart to discover that all 7 bearings in the linkage are dead. I knew I should have got around to greasing them up....

Anyway, Mr Honda wants 20 quid a pop for the bearings!!! I've tried around a few bearing suppliers who don't seem to be able to get a hold of them. I'd rather avoid paying full whack for the Honda bits as it'd be painful, especially at this time of year.

So have any of you guys managed to get them from any alternative suppliers?

They're NTN bearings, marked 7N-HVS 17.5x24.5x22 PU

Cheers

Rab

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
You know that Dave Silver also supplies new spares at very good discounts compared to bike dealers. I'd get some comparison prices from him and a normal Honda dealer, I was shocked at the difference last time I did it.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Try David Silver Spares, they may do a better deal? Or are they the ones that quoted you the 20 squid...?
:roll:

Just go slow on the booze this Christmas and you will get that money back in no time... :wink:

Well, it usually works for me :oops:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
JINX!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Take you worn bearings ( and known sizes ) to a bearing supplier, on from yellow pages , they should be able to match them up and may not charge the same as Mr H ... always ask what the price in cash (no invoice - no vat ).
Normally they do stock decent manufacturers
I rarely buy bike bearings from a bike shop

Norhty

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Try Mark at bikebearings.co.uk for these. He sourced 6 of the bearings I needed for £4 each from a US supplier rather than the £15 each Honda wanted. It took a while but saved a chunk of cash. I went down the Honda route for the collars and seals. Give him a call with all the sizes you need and see what he can do. Tell him they're drawn cup packed with no internal cage so you get the right ones.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It's worth trying your local dealer - but if they can't get hold of the part numbers they won't be able to help. Next option would be contacting David Silver Spares in the UK if you can't get the bits nearer home. I'm sure they ship worldwide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts