Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
zbell RD03
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get my suspension on my stock '88 model Africa Twin.
I weigh 105 Kilos with all my gear I wear, plus more on the panniers and swag packed.

Now, the way it is now, I have back wound up and both bottom out at various times when I don't manage to miss (direct hit) a serious pot hole at speed. Also the pegs drag (sparks fly) when I am going like 110 and go through a concrete wash-out dip on an out back road.

I just want a stiffer suspension.

Does anyone have any tips on the best springs? I can forward this onto my mechanic / suspension guy here in Australia?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I've only ever used the stock spring on my AT's and found them to be OK, however the weight and roads you're riding are very different to my circumstances.

It does sound like you need a slightly stiffer spring, but if it's too hard this could mean less compliance and a nastier ride when off-road.

Have you considered raising the ride height before fitting the stiffer spring?

African Queens in Germany make a jack up kit for the front and rear of AT's, but you might want to drop forum member Kitped a PM as he was looking into producing a similar kit himself, but his was adjustable.

If you find raising the bike doesn't work, you could then try different springs. For the front, you can get a better progressive spring from a few companies (Wilbers in Germany is one I think) but I'm not sure about the rear. If you can measure the diameter and free height, you could probably buy various rates from Ohlins or WP or many other manufacturers.

Good Luck, keep us informed on what you end up doing please.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
i stiffened my front by upgrading to 15W oil, and adding 10mm of spacers on top of the springs. some chaps here in namibia and in south africa replace the top shorter spring totally with a solid pipe up to 20mm longer than the original and claim that does the trick. i'f been told by a few chaps that the kit you get to lengthen the front forks are not to be trusted and can snap, so stiffening it is better. the back lifting kit by african queens does make a big difference though, but silly money. dont know of other options for the back, as mine is fine standard.
diet is maybe a cheaper option mate!:D
good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
With all my gear on, I must be around 125 kgs on my RD03. I use my bike mostly offroad. I also use SAE15 on the forks with a 25mm cylinder to increase compression on the inner spring, and no air inside.
About the rear damper I reservice it a few months ago ( new toric seals, new gas charge and a compression ring about 10mm on the spring.
With these changes (not a big money though) I have found the bike to behave for my weight and riding manners very properly...

Rgds
MAZ
SPAIN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts