Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Done about 800 miles on a fresh oil and filter change done by the previous owner.
The oil is still looks as good as new but it needs a small top up but the previous owner cannot remember what oil he used.
So not sure if it was mineral, semi or fully synthetic.
What oil should i use to top up ?

Thanks Bob.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
its usually semi syn mineral is getting harder to get as its less commonly used full syn is expensive and can cause clutch slip on some bikes . Halfords do 5 liter semi syn for pretty cheap and its good enough by all accounts . if your bike is using oil that's your best course of action and they will be open on sunday . if you trash those engines they consume a drop that's normal if you ride sparingly they don't if all is well . are you sure it used oil or did he just fill it to the full mark then run the engine filling the filter and not top it up again or did you see the oil level drop yourself ? have you been riding like a hooligan ? :D

thanks for reminding me I need to change my own I have 2 litres left over so if I buy 5 litres I will have enough for 2 changes or top ups in between . no point in buying only 4 you don't get a sup for the cat if you do :thumbup: I go with hi flo hf303 filters

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's UOTE=alias;1127073]its usuache. 0ed The emi syn mimaybeal is getting harder to get as its less commonly used full syn is expensive and can cause clutch slip on some bikes . Halfords do 5 liter semi syn for pretty cheap and its good enough by all accounts . if your bike is using oil that's your best course of action and they will be open on sunday . if you trash those engines they consume a drop that's normal if you ride sparingly they don't if all is well . are you sure it used oil or did he just fill it to the full mark then run the engine filling the filter and not top it up again or did you see the oil level drop yourself ? have you been riding like a hooligan ? :D

thanks for reminding me I need to change my own I have 2 litres left over so if I buy 5 litres I will have enough for 2 changes or top ups in between . no point in buying only 4 you don't get a sup for the cat if you do :thumbup: I go with hi flo hf303 filters[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks :thumbleft:.
To be honest i thought i had checked the level but maybe i hadn't :rolleyes:.
It's exactly between the 2 marks on the dip stick.
Also even though i've hit the big 5 0 this year the throttle does get twisted a little too much from time to time.:D

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
sellers can tell porkies like when stuff was changed to big up a bike oil change only 800 miles ago might be 2000 chain and sprockets have only done 2000 miles maybe done 10000 but cleaned before sale and came up looking like new . when buying cars and your there looking at then car and you ask when was the timing belt changed you can smell the bullshit as you watch the cogs turn behine their beading little eyes stalling while they think up a lie , timing belt changing fluid ( tip ex ) can be another hint too close to whats on the clock is a give a way some right snakes out there .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Any 10-40 4T oil will do. No worries there.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Anything 10/40 .... Ive been putting in semi 10/40 car oil in all my bikes for years no problems at all ......

it is recommended that bikes get bike pacific oil it has to do with the clutch and gear box in your typical Japanese bike cars have a separate clutch and gear box so don't have a sup of the magic potion added that 9 out of 10 bikes prefer . people wonder why clutches fail maybe you used to own the bike at one point and kept putting that nasty ass car oil in it :lol: lack of oil changes is what probably does more damage .

when its only the price of a pint of beer in the difference between the 2 spread out over 5000 miles why would you recommend car oil . I used car oil myself for years . Duckhams I used to use years ago . there was no bike shop anywhere near where I lived so I hadn't much choice . I may or may not have had insurance and road tax and things of that nature needed for going to the city :toothy9: still isn't any bike shop round hear used to be for a few years but plenty of smart fly by night bastards getting credit and disappearing and a proper sneaky prick working for him with his hand in the till and small bikes no longer on the road he couldn't make a living at it . sound fella he was to deal with too he would source second hand spares for you from England and all before the internet became popular he got me break discs and cams to replace the worn out and pitted ones and really freshened up my gpz 900 for me he wasn't greedy to do a job either or for tyres or anything used to balance the wheels and all he did .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts