Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Haynes Bible the main jets should be 120 and 118.

Having just removed and checked the carbs today it seems that the main jets are 122 and 118, Is this a common mod that people do or could it be the source of my fuelling problem as when i open the throttle fully its either getting too much or not enough fuel ( bit tricky to tell at 70mph )

Cant see the jet having that much of an effect but who knows, I have ordered another 120 main jet to try that.

I thought it was starved of fuel so the bigger jet the better - so theres my theory already in shreads.

Onwards and upwards, Valve check tomorrow night, new fuel filter on order aswell so once there all done hopefully the problem will be sorted.

I reckon my Regulators knackered aswell :(

I thought these Hondas were reliable :rolleyes:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
I increased the jet sizes on my 04, but then its got k&n filter and straight thru exhaust.

Best way to check is remove plugs and check colour immediately after a fast run.

I think that if you are overfueld, you will reach a point on the throttle oppening where the bike suddenly boggs down.

Be interesting to see if you notice any difference once changed back.

I think the larger jet is for the rear cylinder to help keep it cool, due to the restricted airflow.

Ant.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers Anton,

Kinda confirms or at least supports one of my 16 theories :D

I am hoping the change back will do the trick. Will know one way or the other anyway.

Next on the list is the In line filter, then its the Fuel pump, Then the Regulator which is on its way out anyway.

Then its time to get the keys out for the KTM :rolleyes:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well stripped the carbs down, nothing.

No split in the diaphragms, no blocked jets, a tiny bit of crap in there but nothing major, both chokes spotless. Also Fitted a new inline fuel filter to be safe.

the main jet on the rear cylinder was 122.5 instead of 120, so hopefully that was the problem - will find out when i get her back together.

Checked and altered the valves whilst it was in bits, they inlets were a bit tight. Also decided to clean strip and re paint the underside of the frame

By eck them carbs and top airfilter box are fun to fit :D

Tomorrow its time to refit the tank, warm her up, change oil and filter and its ready to go again.

Just in time for the Rain :toothy2:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I reckon my Regulators knackered aswell :(
Check this out before running the bike for any length of time. It's not just the battery that gets damaged - the CDI and tacho can get fried too due to the overvoltage making it an expensive fault if not tackled quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts