Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...

Decided to give the bike a serious rework to freshen her up. This is the thread to share pictures and stuff...

My bike gets used in anger off road. She'll be getting raced next year so time for some TLC and a weight loss program.

I have been using her pretty much completely off road for a few years and she was looking seriously tired...

I upgraded the forks (WP 48s), front wheel and shock (Nitron) a couple of years back, plus a few other bits and now going the whole hog to finish the project...

As well as a serious clean up (including an ultrasonic carb clean to get rid of 24 years of gunk...) She'll be getting additional mods as follows:

-Powdercoated frame
-Powdercoated yokes
-New custom built wheels (18" rear)
-Modified tail unit/lights/indicators
-Boano fairing
-Modified Transalp seat
-Transalp side panels
-Transalp tank
-Speedo and tacho
-Race battery
-Scorpion Rally rubber
-Paint and stickers...

Pictures of first parts attached - frame, yokes and engine mounts... Freshly powdercoated. Yum.

Wheels here soon - pictures to follow.

Slidey

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers!

Boano fairing going on with tank and side panels from a 600 TA.

Will probably make a custom tail unit.

Not decided on paint - probably white base with vinyl graphics in Red/black... Or Red/Blue.

Got an idea for a twist on the HRC colours.

We'll see...

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have all the old body work for butchering if I need it :thumbup:

Was thinking about a grease nipple but I have been packing the headstock with plenty of grease when I do head bearings. I change them every 6 months or so as they wear out due to water ingress from below (the seals are crap on the taper rollers I have).

I am going to rather come up with a way of sealing the bearings better. Might add a nipple later during on e of the bearing changes :toothy10:

Slidey

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kit is really nice - quality is really good aside from some light handling damage (bent tabs).

Believe it or not (I couldn't) the rads were despatched at 3pm on Monday and arrived on Thursday afternoon the same week...

2.5 days door to door...

Impressive... Will let you know how they fit but everything seems to be in the right place... Hoses are nice quality too.

Slidey

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I also bought the same hose kit. Overall, the quality is good. Except for the two short lines that link the thermostat housing to each radiator though. Those line are way, way too big.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keeping the suspension as is as I converted it a couple of years ago (48mm WPs and a custom Nitron shock from Rugged Roads).

Having both serviced - especially the forks as they havent been touched for years (apart from the correct springs being fitted when I bought them).

The transalp fairing goes straight on to the RD04 and is needed with the different tank. Not got it yet as the Italians are on holiday.

Should have a good result on the wheels next week...

:wink:

Slidey

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The outlets on the thermostat housing are Ø14mm while hose's ID is Ø18.5mm. As soon as I mount my hoses, I will contact the seller and ask for smaller replacements.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The hose that goes from the front of the front cylinder to the water pump is about 15mm too long (in my case) and it would interfere with the front engine mount. I cut it. The hose that goes from the thermostat to the rear cylinder is okay. But the one from the thermostat down to the front cylinder has a very wrong shape. very difficult fit and I think it gets so kinked, it will reduce coolant flow.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I split this one some years ago (riding without the bashplate :rolleyes:) I ordered genuine replacement (only £14.00) but it was on long back order.So tried to make a new one myself. In the end the ONLY solution, to stop it kinking was to cannibalise the old pipe with steel conduit pipes a jubilee clips. The job was such a pain. I never fitted the new pipe when it actually turned up :)
IMAG0701_1_1440095938527.jpg

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Out of 7 hoses, I can say that only 4 are of proper shape. The 3 others are useless.

Correct
- Front cylinder to water pump. The front of the hose needed to be cut shorter by 15mm in my case.
- From the bottom of the two rads to the waterpump.
- From the thermostat to the rear cylinder head
- Small hose over the frame between the top of the radiators

Garbage
- From the thermostat to the top of the rads (two lines). Lines are two big in diameter.
- From thermostat to the front cylinder head. Totally wrong shape. If I twist it to "fit", it will kink and most likely block coolant flow.

I sent an email to GPI on eBay notifying them of the fitment problems.

Lee

FOLLOW-UP

I am removing the silicone hoses and refitting rubber ones. Two many co promises and non-fits with the GPI hoses. Not to mention that they are all thicker than stock and causing clearance problems.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Engine in...

Was pretty easy in the end - just needed to be methodical... Took about 30 seconds!

A couple of small marks on the frame where I hadn't quite put enough tape but generally spot on (it won't be Mark free for long once it starts being used!)

Replacing fastners with black stainless bolts where possible...

Lifting it on to the workstand solo was interesting.

Small hernia... But it's all good.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 119 Posts