Honda XRV Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Tail end coming together.

LED stop light. Made a tail tidy out of HDPE sheet... Needs the indicator mounts tweaking a little but it's pretty much there. Got an LED number plate light to fit later.

Picked up a full KTM indicator kit for next to nothing on eBay (lights, under tray, switchgear) so will splice in the KTM connectors which are very neat.

Front fender and handguards fitted...

Not happy with the seat - had a go at making a single seat out of an old TA seat base - couldn't get the vinyl to fit the shape properly so have ended up with folds in the cover and a shape that doesn't fit the bike.

Will run it for a bit and make something better...

Slidey

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Latest pics...

Build now almost complete - front indicators to fit and a few bits and bobs to do.

One major ballache came to the surface yesterday in that my RR crash bars (which are worth their weight in gold) are not compatible with the new radiators... Balls. Will work on a fix for that - probably a mod to the lower rad bracket to shift it back a touch. Mildly irritating...

Back end looking nice and neat though - happy with the way it's turned out.

Since my last post, I've had a sense of humour failure with the seat and torn the cover off to reshape the foam.

I've included an 'after' picture (the shots of the bike show it with the big slab of a seat complete with folds in the cover). Now a much better shape awaiting a cover...

Footrest hangers will come off at a later date to be powdercoated but have reassembled for now.

Will probably rob these handguards and fit them to my enduro bike and buy some white ones as the red doesn't match anything else.

My aim to be finished by the end of the year (unpainted) will not quite happen - almost though...

Slidey

Attachments

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Come on then Glen ! What about the finished bike, painted an'all ?........This new CRF/AT is getting to much of the limelight for my liking ! :D (you were right though ,it's been well worth waiting for)

( I propose that the CRF is going to be seen in such high numbers and become so common, that bikes like this will become the more desired/cooler ride to have down the line.) :thumbup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Believe me - no one wants it finished more than me...

The new bike getting loads of positive coverage makes me very happy indeed...

Been a bit quiet lately as many things are getting in the way of me finishing the project...

It's very close now. Just need to balance the carbs and install front indicators and that should be all the functional stuff...

I have some minor panel repairs to do before the 'surface finish' is applied... More on that shortly...

Had a weird one with my Lithium Ion battery the other day - it has been standing for a few months out in the cold and was completely dead. Wouldn't even take a charge...

After many, many profanities, I put it on the radiator where it slowly came back to life... I've read of this happening with these and noted that heat helps... I can confirm that it does! Back to full power now...

Set up the Koso and connected up the various sensors....

Noticed some corrosion on my 'stainless' fasteners already - note to self (and others reading this) never buy cheap stainless fasteners...

Back on the dirt by the end of Feb would be good...

Slidey

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Yep those battery's hate the cold, just fitted one to a Ulysses 1200 (to make space more than save weight). Getting it to crank over from frozen ? Oooof ! :D Still ,on your's with the old Yuasa and silencer gone , 8/9 kilo's lost innit ! :thumbright:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Hello all...

Long time no update... I hope you are all very well...

Life has rather gotten in the way of this build - my father-in-law passed away in March after a number of months of illness and it's been all hands to the pump to sort out his affairs - including a temporary house move to his place at the start of the year and a subsequent doubling of my commute... Coupled with a mental time at work with major projects coming to a head, it been a tricky few months from a free time point of view.

Progress is happening, albeit very slowly, not helped by a sudden mystery running issue...

Fired the bike up in January and she ran lovely - slightly fluffy in a small band high in the rev range and I thought that, with a carb balance, that would be resolved.

Moved the bike to my Father in law's place whilst we were caring for him and fired her up again a month or so later to balance the carbs up and she ran like shite. Popping and banging and only revving to half revs.

Removed carbs and refitted, checking everywhere for airleaks and nothing found.

When the carbs were stripped and cleaned last year, the diaphragms were pretty tired so I have now replaced them too which has not fixed the issue. Have stripped and rechecked the carbs and there seems to be nothing amiss there.

Given that the rev needle is jumping about all over the place now too, my feeling is that it's an electrical problem.

Going to replace plugs, coils and leads and hope that solves it.

If I can get her running then I'm on the home stretch. Only 12 months later than expected!

Slidey

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Happy soggy summer one and all...

Had a shakedown test a few weeks back which ended on the floor with a minor concussion... but other than that she's finished and running lovely!

Patched up some minor scrapes from the off and have been prepping for the MOT (which I need to solve one small gremlin for but other than that, all good).

Trying to post pictures but the files size limit seems to have become very restrictive (or is it me?).

Here's a small one!

ATres.jpg

Hope you are all well!

Anyone going up to the Rydale rally, do give me a shout.

Slidey

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Hey Glen. Good to see you back in the frame ! Sorry for your loss. My dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness last year too , and it caught up with him just a few weeks ago. Tough times, but even harder for you I imagine with a young family and a house move thrown in with it all ?
2017. Make the most of that sweet special you have there, it's looking fine. Keep us posted on your Rydale (maybe stick a go pro on for us old codgers to see the AT flyin' ! )

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Hey Glen. Good to see you back in the frame ! Sorry for your loss. My dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness last year too , and it caught up with him just a few weeks ago. Tough times, but even harder for you I imagine with a young family and a house move thrown in with it all ?
2017. Make the most of that sweet special you have there, it's looking fine. Keep us posted on your Rydale (maybe stick a go pro on for us old codgers to see the AT flyin' ! )
The house move was as a result of all that's been going on to be honest - the wife and I hit the "f**k it" button, sold everything and reset life for the better. Have not looked back mate to be honest. :thumbup:

I've recently bought a Drift Cam so will rig that up and see if I can get some footage of me wobbling round ;)

Slidey

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not done any rallying before but interested in going over to Ryedale to see what its like, just to watch this time but I am in the middle of an Rd04 rally built at the mo so who knows for future. What class are you going to be running in? Where is best place to watch? Cheers Jon

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not done any rallying before but interested in going over to Ryedale to see what its like, just to watch this time but I am in the middle of an Rd04 rally built at the mo so who knows for future. What class are you going to be running in? Where is best place to watch? Cheers Jon

The Rally spends most of its time in the forest so there is little opportunity to see much - :thumbup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
What was the outcome of the running probs of last year....hope it was resolved and would be interested to hear of the cause/s.
Regards
Ha! yes - interesting question.

I found a couple of issues. One turned out to be very simple... The pipe that I was using to feed fuel to the bike from the pot that I had rigged up in the absence of the tank was not a fuel pipe - it was a piece of plastic tubing that I had lying around which seemed to do what was supposed to be a very temporary job nicely. With the extended build time, the pipe was exposed to more fuel... It turned out to have several layers to it and basically the fuel got under the layers and the subsequent internal swelling of the pipe caused a restriction in fuel flow at higher throttle openings... a silly thing but a good result as it was nothing to do with the bike itself. She still popped and banged a bit once this was sorted but I have since balanced the carbs up (by feel/ear as its only a 2 pot) and she runs lovely now.

The other issue I had, which was very strange, was that she would run for about 5 minutes and then start to misfire and eventually stop. That turned out to be a dodgy starter solenoid which I have replaced and it fixed the issue.

Other than a head-to-ground interface moment, the shakedown test I had a few weeks back, as part of a CORE events test day, was very successful. She handles like a much smaller bike and I can't wait to get out and race properly now!

I still have the indicator issue but trying to resolve that now...

@Machiru - It would be great to see you at the rally. Worth coming along to soak up some of the atmosphere and to see some of the racing (if a little tricky due to the sheer scale of the event). I'll be camping near the start so come and find me for a brew if you do make it. Would be interested to see your build too - let me know if you need help/advice with anything.

I used to do loads of off road on the AT (greenlining etc...) but only one competitive rally - the Hafren Rally in Wales a few years back. That was technical and challenging on a big bike, but I got a good result and was hooked from there (it has only been through personal circumstances over the last couple of years that I have not done more) it's a great format - I love the fact that it is you vs the bike vs the clock and that the atmosphere is very sporting. There is a specific 'big bike multi-cylinder' class which is the one I have entered.

The Rydale is supposed to be a great event and I am looking forward to it... the 300ish mile drive, not so much!!

Slidey

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ha! yes - interesting question.

I found a couple of issues. One turned out to be very simple... The pipe that I was using to feed fuel to the bike from the pot that I had rigged up in the absence of the tank was not a fuel pipe - it was a piece of plastic tubing that I had lying around which seemed to do what was supposed to be a very temporary job nicely. With the extended build time, the pipe was exposed to more fuel... It turned out to have several layers to it and basically the fuel got under the layers and the subsequent internal swelling of the pipe caused a restriction in fuel flow at higher throttle openings... a silly thing but a good result as it was nothing to do with the bike itself. She still popped and banged a bit once this was sorted but I have since balanced the carbs up (by feel/ear as its only a 2 pot) and she runs lovely now.

The other issue I had, which was very strange, was that she would run for about 5 minutes and then start to misfire and eventually stop. That turned out to be a dodgy starter solenoid which I have replaced and it fixed the issue.

Other than a head-to-ground interface moment, the shakedown test I had a few weeks back, as part of a CORE events test day, was very successful. She handles like a much smaller bike and I can't wait to get out and race properly now!

I still have the indicator issue but trying to resolve that now...

@Machiru - It would be great to see you at the rally. Worth coming along to soak up some of the atmosphere and to see some of the racing (if a little tricky due to the sheer scale of the event). I'll be camping near the start so come and find me for a brew if you do make it. Would be interested to see your build too - let me know if you need help/advice with anything.

I used to do loads of off road on the AT (greenlining etc...) but only one competitive rally - the Hafren Rally in Wales a few years back. That was technical and challenging on a big bike, but I got a good result and was hooked from there (it has only been through personal circumstances over the last couple of years that I have not done more) it's a great format - I love the fact that it is you vs the bike vs the clock and that the atmosphere is very sporting. There is a specific 'big bike multi-cylinder' class which is the one I have entered.

The Rydale is supposed to be a great event and I am looking forward to it... the 300ish mile drive, not so much!!

Slidey
Thanks Slidey still negotiating the weekend pass for Rydale I will PM you before if I can make it. I like the sound of the rallying not sure my ability matches my ambition though Cheers Jon

·
Registered
371 Posts
Slidey I'm coming over for Ryedale, on four wheels unfortunately and with two kids and a dog along too. Will try and track you down. What is the start time on the Saturday? Cheers Jon

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Cool. I'll be camping - big green tent, Grey Mitsubishi L200. Hopefully see you for a brew!

I think start is at 9:30 but I won't know my start time until I sign on - I'm sure I'll catch up with you somehow ?

Slidey

101 - 119 of 119 Posts