Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey chaps about to order my TKC80 for my RD04 but just want to clarify the widest size, 140 ? even 150 ?

its for mostly gravel roads and sand, little mud when over here .. very little road use, bike with just me on it, almost no luggage / passengers...

cheers
Matt

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
140 will fit no problem, i've got the wider 07a rim fitted to the rd04, so have 150's on mine.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I have had all 3 sizes

The 150 is too big for the rim so it's hard to get seated right but clearance on the swing arm is no problem

The 140 fits fine as will the standard 130

Trying to upload a pic with a 150 on

Marathon%20008.jpg

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Hey chaps about to order my TKC80 for my RD04 but just want to clarify the widest size, 140 ? even 150 ?

its for mostly gravel roads and sand, little mud when over here .. very little road use, bike with just me on it, almost no luggage / passengers...

cheers
Matt
Standard RD04 takes 130 but can take 140. RD07 takes 140 but can take bigger

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
There will be nothing to gain by fitting a 150 section tyre. In my experience (owned two RD04's) a 140 section is all you need :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
But don't fit a 130 as it will be a funny shape

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Mitas E09?
Yep

Just picked up 2 of these myself - ran the EO10s on both this last year and love them - EO9s are a lot softer but still harder than TKCs

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many thanks, she's ordered...

It was the TKC or Desert .... if it last 2000 kms with HD tubes and no punctures, I'll be very happy... I hate punctures out in the sticks…

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have had all 3 sizes

The 150 is too big for the rim so it's hard to get seated right but clearance on the swing arm is no problem

The 140 fits fine as will the standard 130

Trying to upload a pic with a 150 on

View attachment 40026

That rim looks well tasty. Just looked on their website, but they don't seem to do anything for the AT? Is it the same firm as Central Wheel?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
??

2.75 instead of 3, surely?
The actual measurement (as opposed to what is written on the side of the rim) from bead wall to bead wall is 3.5" on the RD04 and 4.25" on the RD07/a

·
Registered
16 Posts
The actual measurement (as opposed to what is written on the side of the rim) from bead wall to bead wall is 3.5" on the RD04 and 4.25" on the RD07/a
An oldish thread, but had to clarify this. The rim width as is marked on the rim IS the correct size measurement and all that is important when specifying the rim size and/or choosing tyres. It is the width between the bead seating areas, i.e. what the tyre will 'see'. Any measurement across the outside of the wheel is totally irrelevant as it will depend on the designers' desired shape. A rim is specified by the diameter and width between the bead, i.e. the inside width of the wheel and that is all that should be used or confusion shall reign.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts