Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone kindly check if there's any writing/codes etc written on the diode in the cockpit fusebox. cheers

·
Registered
755 Posts
could someone kindly check if there's any writing/codes etc written on the diode in the cockpit fusebox. cheers
foz, it appears to be 'RM4 OD' if that's the one you mean mate?

Lings only appear to show the fusebox as a unit, and the 10A and 20A as chewables mate. The diode looks like it's maybe hardwired into the fusebox as stock?

I'm pretty sure from Haynes that this is the clutch diode, but can't seem to find any values for it.

Soz can't get any more info from Haynes or Lings, I'll have a look elsewhere for a similar diode and post if I see a match.

Honda Motorcycle Parts / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

PFKL556562
BOX ASSY., FUSE
£39.50
(€45.03)
($63.20)
- Contact Us -

PFKL1032081
FUSE, BLADE (10A)
£0.83
(€0.95)
($1.33)

PFKL1032084
FUSE, BLADE (20A)
£0.83
(€0.95)
($1.33)

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
foz, it appears to be 'RM4 OD' if that's the one you mean mate?

I'm surprised to see a regular power diode just shoved into the fuse holder like that. I would have expected something that resembled a fuse - plastic casing and all. Considering that the blade fuses have "blade" type connections rather than the heavy gauge round wire that the power diode comes with.

Is this standard or has someone found suitably rated diode and shoved it in?

Edit: By the way, that RM4 diode has a 3 Amp rating.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just looked and I have a 10A fuse in that position! '92 RD04 for German market

Edit: Just checked the diagrams and ND (North Europe) and AR (Austria) models don't have that diode

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm surprised to see a regular power diode just shoved into the fuse holder like that. I would have expected something that resembled a fuse - plastic casing and all. Considering that the blade fuses have "blade" type connections rather than the heavy gauge round wire that the power diode comes with.

Is this standard or has someone found suitably rated diode and shoved it in?

Edit: By the way, that RM4 diode has a 3 Amp rating.

Other than a cursory glance whilst cleaning out the crud (I've only had the @ for a couple of months and it's not, um, roadworthy yet - front rim and monoshock to sort first), I must say I haven't otherwise checked the fusebox again until tonight, Lutin.

Pic is from the Honda workshop manual, I'd thought that as it's the only specified diode it would sort of look diode-y rather than fuse-y? Not sure though, as you mentioned, if it's OEM or an historic 'get-you-home'...

To be honest mate, I'm not even sure that the 10A and 20A fuses are in their correct slots but, the bike starts and runs sweetly at the mo, so fuse tetris is a fine-tuning job for another day ;)

To quote the workshop manual:

"Inspection. Note - The test results shown are for a positive ground ohmmeter and the opposite results will be obtained when a negative ground ohmmeter is used...

...Clutch switch diode -

Disconnect 6-P Black connector in the connector bracket.

Check for continuity with an ohmmeter.

Connect the positive probe to the Green/Red terminal and the negative probe to the Light Green /Red terminal in the connector.

There should be continuity, then with the probes reversed, there should be no continuity."

Thanks BTW for the Amp rating, I couldn't seem to find that in either Haynes or the workshop manual!

I know that I've probably posted some extraneous electrical info in this thread, but the @'s new and still a bit alien to me, and hopefully foz'll be able to sift out sommat useful from it :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just looked and I have a 10A fuse in that position! '92 RD04 for German market

Edit: Just checked the diagrams and ND (North Europe) and AR (Austria) models don't have that diode
I'm looking at the workshop manual wiring diagram for the "E" (U.K.) model mrmrva, it (mostly!) seems to match my bike, and although looking at the diagram for the "G" (Germany - Full Power / Limited Power) model, which also shows the clutch diode, I'm using the '90 / '91 RD04 manual, so not sure if they're different in that respect.

The "AR" (Austrian), and "ND" (North Europe) diagrams both show a 10A fuse though!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Was confused for a bit but remembered I have workshop manual addendum for 1992 models and German model for that year is without diode, so all good. :)

Looking at this thread your diode looks the same as the one in the first post so probably factory set like that

EDIT: According to attached spec sheet it is a 400V 1.7A rectifier diode

View attachment 37194
Thanks mrmrva, I hadn't seen that thread before; a bit shite of both Haynes and Honda manuals not to give the spec though!

Also, erm, a bit shite of Honda not to supply the diode as an off-the-shelf spare as well!

Also... off-topic I know, but is "Koppelingsschakelaar" literally German for "Clutch"? :eek: I'd be back on a moped if I were a beemer rider and had to try and order an OEM one from Germany... ;)

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance but what is the purpose of the clutch diode?

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance but what is the purpose of the clutch diode?
The purpose of the diodes in the starter circuit are to ensure that the bike can be started only with the bike in a "safe" state ie -

1) Bike in Neutral with side-stand Down.

2) Bike in Neutral with side-stand Up.

3) Bike NOT in Neutral then the clutch must be in and the side stand must be up.

This is for the RD04, but other bikes are similar.

Hope that helps.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts