Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks some one has swiped my at,its r/w/b,reg begins h64 ,stainless pipe ,new f/wheel, a bit scruffy its an rdo4,has a new black extended screen ,new tyres,c/s,and scuff marks on right hand side,any help on getting it back or finding out who did it will be treated with total discretion.Taken from wallsall west mids as id lent it to a mate so he could get to work and do some overtime so he can earn a bit extra to be able to fix his aprillia falco,yep its insured but im really really angry ,thieves were caught on cctv and the police just aint interested(thanks a bunch).so if anyone sees any bits for sale on e bay or midland bargin pages etc can you let me know and i know im sure no one on here has it but we do have an idea where it is ,if its returned to the area it was taken from it ll be forgoten .ta folks for any help that comes along:mad: :(

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Bad news buddy, I'll keep an eye out as I'm not too far away, anywhere near you where scrotes might like to have a go at off-roading on someone elses bike?

Can't guarantee to be "discrete" if I find it :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ta dilbert if you do see it dont get yourself in the poo gimme a ring and we can sort it ill be posting a mobile no later which ll be just for this,ill also be posting the name of the road it was seen in with the two,white adult males,in i think its spelt goscot ,walsall

·
Registered
113 Posts
Be interested in some info on what "The Police just ain't interested" means ??......don't get me wrong, it's not going to be treated like an armed robbery, but to suggest they aren't interested implies they didn't take & record details & enter it on the National P.N.C. as stolen. If they didn't it suggest's they think there was something wrong with the report ? which would lead to me ringing them if I saw it......not the "loser" ??

·
Registered
152 Posts
hey folks some one has swiped my at,its r/w/b,reg begins h64 ,stainless pipe ,new f/wheel, a bit scruffy its an rdo4,has a new black extended screen ,new tyres,c/s,and scuff marks on right hand side,any help on getting it back or finding out who did it will be treated with total discretion.Taken from wallsall west mids as id lent it to a mate so he could get to work and do some overtime so he can earn a bit extra to be able to fix his aprillia falco,yep its insured but im really really angry ,thieves were caught on cctv and the police just aint interested(thanks a bunch).so if anyone sees any bits for sale on e bay or midland bargin pages etc can you let me know and i know im sure no one on here has it but we do have an idea where it is ,if its returned to the area it was taken from it ll be forgoten .ta folks for any help that comes along:mad: :(
Maybe you could take them to court for dereliction of duty.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Be interested in some info on what "The Police just ain't interested" means ??......don't get me wrong, it's not going to be treated like an armed robbery, but to suggest they aren't interested implies they didn't take & record details & enter it on the National P.N.C. as stolen. If they didn't it suggest's they think there was something wrong with the report ? which would lead to me ringing them if I saw it......not the "loser" ??
It's a sad fact of life that many more cars and bikes remain unrecovered than are actually found by the authorities, therefore many officers have a very casual approach to this sort of theft, added to which there are an awful lot of plods who have a very bad attitude to bikes in general, If anyone spots this or any other stolen vehicle then deffo call the Police, they will probably do something following a positive report, just don't expect them to be too enthusiastic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's a sad fact of life that many more cars and bikes remain unrecovered than are actually found by the authorities, therefore many officers have a very casual approach to this sort of theft, added to which there are an awful lot of plods who have a very bad attitude to bikes in general, If anyone spots this or any other stolen vehicle then deffo call the Police, they will probably do something following a positive report, just don't expect them to be too enthusiastic :rolleyes:
Dear Dilbert....having just spent 32 years in "The Job".....I don't know where you're getting your info from, but to suggest that "many more cars & bikes remain unrecovered than are actually found" is absolute "tosh". Agreed, certain professional vehicle breakers are stealing vehicles to order & Ebay & Auto Jumbles are sadly a ready outlet, but to suggest the Police "aren't interested" is disingenuouse. Most Forces have vehicle related crime at the top of their agendas along with Violent Crime, Burglary of Dwellings & Street Robbery. The reality is that the amount of active investigation which can be made given the volume of work, is somewhat limited without active leads to follow, which is why traditionally, there has always been an element of playing a waiting game, until said stolen vehicle turns up. In the case of vehicles which get 'broken', that is almost certainly "never".....unless your pride & joy has some form of tracker fitted.
But you know those Pigs (not your term, I know,)....always looking for some way to derelict their duty.
My point remains....if the Poster is suggesting that they weren't interested, I'd be interested to hear from him, in what respect were they not interested ??.......there may be a perception of disinterest, but once recorded as stolen, & circulated as stolen, that MAY be all that can be done in the first instance. Saying there was CCTV implies that it was (a) on, (b) actually covered the relevent area & & (c) has something of value on it. There will have been an Officer in Case appointed & that OIC will have a Supervisor & if the person isn't happy, then there is a chain of command in place to ensure an effective investigation takes place. COMMUNICATION with the Pigs, Plod, Old Bill, Police ...whatever vernacular you choose, inevitably leads to an explanation of what has & is happening.
For my last 3 years....amongst about 6 other jobs, I managed a busy City Crime Desk, so I know a bit about it......talk to them if you're not happy.....go up the ladder.....or, don't bother & just go onto a forum & slag them off:rolleyes:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Hmmm obviously ruffled a few feathers there, I deliberatly wrote my reply in terms that ought not to have been offensive as I am aware that you are not the only menber of the Police force on this forum.
You seem to have got the posts a bit mixed up, if you read mine again I was suggesting rightly or wrongly that the Police (in general) do not channel as much effort into this as they may other crimes where their efforts may be more productive.
There may be a drive on at the moment for vehicle crime, I would be interested top see the statistics to back this claim up, I am basing my assumptions on the fact that there have been several reports of stolen bikes on this forum and elsewhere and the only ones I've heard of being recovered are by individuals taking the time to look for them themselves, which is also what I was suggesting, that and conversations over time with real Police officers who I have known as friends.
Maybe you could enlighten us with some useful information on how to pursue a bike theft in order to get the best results?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I both sympathise with the loss of the bike and the police's disinterest. My last bike was stolen from my work place and although not worth a great deal and being fully comp - it's the inconveinience and hassle.

When I initially phoned the police to report the crime they refused to give me a crime number unless I first pledged them money from my own pocket if my insurance company refused to pay them £105 recovery fee and £12 per day storage.

They also said they would not treat it as a crime because it was probable children under 16, so P.A.C.E. (police and criminal evidence act) meant they were unlikely to get a conviction.

As it turned out my workmate found it torched on his way home and the company let me borrow the works van to transport it, so the police got no money off anyone - Shame!

Unfortunately we live in a country where even though we pay their wages we seem to be there to serve them and not the other way around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry folks this thread was not meant to be a dig at the police ,i for one have great respect for them,probably havent got the self control or the inner strengh to do their job it must be bloody soul destroying at times ,ie paper work,complaints ,under funded and undermaned watchin known scum get away with it on tecnicalities which we all know is outrageous.after listening to the radio 4 news on sat an 80 year old man had been stabbed in the neck with a barbaque skewer and locked in a cupboard for three days and has since died,in walsall i might add so i guess they have plenty to do,that said the officer that came a round just didnt seem interested ,probably knowing how fruitless it will be looking for it.

I now have the names of the two blokes seen on it and the roads they live in,apparently they do this regularly ,ring them or get this sell them to a local breakers,between them they have 8 private and council lock ups ,neither work .and the person who gave over the info said, these two are the types that will fire bomb your house if you hassle them,they are very well known to the police and really dont give a flyin f as they know bugger all will be done.
and as for john my mate ? who was using it, he didnt report it stolen for a day as he thought he would see what would happen ,and knew the names of the lads that took it but didnt want to tell the police as he is concerened as to what might happen,:confused2: ,what can you say!!!!.
anyway please keep your eyes open and i hope to resolve this soon ,it aint the value of the bike its the principal :mad:

·
Registered
145 Posts
will keep my eyes peeled as not far away(just off j10)and travel the area in my truck for work ,sorry for your loss of bike
cheers darren

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot to everyone who has mailed or PM'd me with information. The bits on E-bay are not from my bike (bummer!). :(

Ta

·
Registered
113 Posts
I both sympathise with the loss of the bike and the police's disinterest. My last bike was stolen from my work place and although not worth a great deal and being fully comp - it's the inconveinience and hassle.

When I initially phoned the police to report the crime they refused to give me a crime number unless I first pledged them money from my own pocket if my insurance company refused to pay them £105 recovery fee and £12 per day storage.

They also said they would not treat it as a crime because it was probable children under 16, so P.A.C.E. (police and criminal evidence act) meant they were unlikely to get a conviction.

As it turned out my workmate found it torched on his way home and the company let me borrow the works van to transport it, so the police got no money off anyone - Shame!

Unfortunately we live in a country where even though we pay their wages we seem to be there to serve them and not the other way around.
Without knowing the full circumstances of your situation, it is difficult, if not impossible to generalise (unlike your eminent generalisation above) & I doubt you're necessarily after an explanation,

But, to try.......the reason the Police seek to establish whether someone is prepared to pay a recovery fee, is because it is not (generally) the Police who recover stolen vehicles. It is contracted out to Recovery Agents. Having found stolen vehicle's & due to the lack of ability on the part of the owners to collect them vehicles were being re-stolen & the Police held responsible....ie. the losers ( in every sense) expected the Police to guard their vehicles until they felt like collecting them & when they didn't/couldn't they blamed the Police & sued. (It's Taxpayers money that pays the bill.)

Similarly, in these days of frequent vehicle abandonment, there are unscrupulose sorts who, finding them in possesion of a totally knackered vehicle drive it to the next town / borough ....lay by, give it a good kicking, or torch it & get it disposed of at someone else's expense....ie. the Taxpayer (again).....ie. most of US. Abandoned vehicles are the Local Authorities responsibility to dispose of, ie. hazardous substances, rubber, plastics, fluids, 'scrap' & quite often, a vehicle reported stolen, collected at the Taxpayers expense is abandoned by the owner because they never intended to collect it as (if they have insurance) they were after a payout & if they haven't they can't be ar*ed. Again......the tab is picked up on the rates.

So, to the issue of being asked IF you are sufficiently interested in the bike to be prepared to pay for it's recovery, that is an entirely reasonable question. Whether they were "blackmailing" you for the sake of a Crime is somewhat 'incredulous'....as I said earlier, ALL Forces have Vehicle Crime as a 'reduction target'. If some unscrupulous Forces are seeking to under record then that is an Integrity issue & you should have complained, initially up the Supervisory ladder & if necessary to the Professional Standard's Department.
As for not recording it because there was a presupposition that it was a Juvenile offender.............that is utter bo**ox.....both ways up, they say communities get the Police they deserve.....not sure how that fit's with the response you've had.

Hardly good luck to find it burnt out, but if you hadn't....how could you know that it wasn't going to be found 300 miles away, not just around the corner ?? it would still have had to be collected & protected until you or your insurers were in a position to collect it.....it wouldn't have been the Police that got the money, it would 'almost certainly' have been the Contractor, & he's on call 24/7, has a compound, vehicles & staff to maintain............& would have been hoping your insurers would be meeting the costs anyway ?

Unfortunately, the Police don't have a Crystal Ball, or a sixth sense, or X ray-eyes.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Before this turns into a full blown "handbags at dawn" can we please all settle down to Rob's original request and keep an eye out for his bike :rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I now have the names of the two blokes seen on it and the roads they live in,apparently they do this regularly ,ring them or get this sell them to a local breakers,between them they have 8 private and council lock ups ,neither work .and the person who gave over the info said, these two are the types that will fire bomb your house if you hassle them,they are very well known to the police and really dont give a flyin f as they know bugger all will be done.
and as for john my mate ? who was using it, he didnt report it stolen for a day as he thought he would see what would happen ,and knew the names of the lads that took it but didnt want to tell the police as he is concerened as to what might happen,:confused2: ,what can you say!!!!.
anyway please keep your eyes open and i hope to resolve this soon ,it aint the value of the bike its the principal :mad:
Rob.....if you do decide to go down the 'proper' line, & you don't want to put your head above the parapet, use the Crimestoppers Line, 0800 555 111. It is administered by the AA ....or somebody, nothing to do with the Police, but they pass the info on & it is generally treated as 'solid gold'. You remain anonymous....you become a number....& if you can give sufficient quality of information, ie. specifics, names, places etc, it can & will be acted upon. Can't say too much, but again, there is a 'focus' on seeing Crimestoppers 'work' to the benefit of the community. Truth is, it's all the better if someone has the ba**s to actually front these things up & work WITH the Police to get to the crooks, but I appreciate there can be reasons in some communities why that is impractical. Not sure too many houses in Walsall get 'torched'....& Pond Life gets fat on an aura of invincibility............but at the end of the day, it's your bike, your choice ?
If you don't help them, they can't help you.....as posted in my last, they ain't got a Crystal Ball.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Before this turns into a full blown "handbags at dawn" can we please all settle down to Rob's original request and keep an eye out for his bike :rolleyes: :confused:
Dear Dilbert.....no feather's ruffled (as per your previous) & no Handbags carried.....just 'genuinely' seeking to educate so that folks can focus on reality instead of vitriol. To get back to the matter of protecting your bike, if you own ( & I nearly did & hope to in the future) an AT, to be honest, you've got a real security/vulnerabilty problem. They seem to be a 'coming' classic. They are iconic, no longer in production, thus making componants as, or more valuable than the whole bike. There is a ready market, via the Internet & Auto-jumbles, & 'knowing a man who knows' so the best way to protect your bike & as many facets of it as possible, traceable, or, ideally, trackable.............& the latter, if you value it to that extent has to be the way to go. If you don't value it that much, then get the Dremel working & get your house name / number & Post code & the bikes VRM etched on the inside of every single panel, casing & componant that you can manage.

It's like a 'low-tech' self help, high viz form of Smartwatering. It's not going to stop some spiteful scrote spiriting it away & torching it.....but my guess is that the majority of the 'disappeared' are in bits within 48 hours, frames either crushed or un-identifiable via their normal plates & engines 'broken'.

If you or someone else "breaks" the bike legimately, it's no odds to anyone that ID marks are there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts