Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I hear a faint clicking...but that's about it. Hard to pin it down on a youtube video. Valves and
crankshaft bearings are at the opposite end of the engine so you should be able to narrow it down. Have you tried a mechanics
stethoscope? Are you aware that maybe the engine was starved of oil with the oil low pressure light coming on? Oil starvation
is about the only way to damage the bottom end of these engines.

51V9jf7hfIL._SY355_.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no oil light tunr on during the ride or engine runing . Its also turn off as soon as i start the bike its dissaper. I try to locate the noise. I can hear noise from other side of the camchain most of the noise is from front cylinder where exhaust valve is...

·
Registered
128 Posts
That sounds like tappets as its a really sharp tap type noise. If not the tappets it must be somewhere else in the top end and you should be able to tell which cylinder head it is coming from. Did it make this noise before the cam chain tensioner was changed?

I've had one RD07A with a failed big end and that would make a very different sound.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A further thought, if the valve clearances are correct and the tensioner is OK another reason for a noisy tappet is no oil reaching the camshaft. Check the oil feeds are clean and correctly seated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes the sound was there before i changed the camchain tensioner... i double check valve clearance and its ok.
With tappet did you mean rocker arms or camshaft or something else? Thanks

And the sound is much stronger in front cylinder

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It does sound like badly adjusted tappets so check and double check if not that suspect its play in the connecting rod to the crank unfortunately a strip down engine out and a lot of work

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too bad. Its look like i really must strip the engine. I'm not happy...?
Will let you know what i will do...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It does sound like oil is not getting to tappets, as the engine had any work that you know of has some chinese cylinder base gaskets were missing an oil hole.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It is small end, and conection rod is damaged. Today i deasamble front cylinder tomorrow i will go with rear cylinder. Hope rear would be OK.
So i must take engine apart and also change crankshaft bearings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do i know which con rod bearing do i need. There is A stamped on crankshaft . On Con rod is stamped B 2?
Ok in know that i ned con rod B . But fo bearing i'm not sure. I was looking haynes and if am i right A from the crankshaft and number 2 from con rod in A2 from haynes table which gave me E - yellow coloured bearings. In the crankcase there is B stamped so i need B - Black.
Please help :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
How do i know which con rod bearing do i need. There is A stamped on crankshaft . On Con rod is stamped B 2?
Ok in know that i ned con rod B . But fo bearing i'm not sure. I was looking haynes and if am i right A from the crankshaft and number 2 from con rod in A2 from haynes table which gave me E - yellow coloured bearings. In the crankcase there is B stamped so i need B - Black.
Please help :)
Hello I have just checked the Honda workshop manual, the confusion comes I think from the crankshaft identification marks the central web of the crank is marked A or B yours is A the con rod you need to replace is 2 therefore the bearing is E yellow.

For the main bearings the outer two webs of the crank are marked 1 or 2 ( have you seen that number), your cases are marked B so you need to look for the combination. the crank and cases are mated, B cases mate to crank code 2 so hopefully your crank is marked 2.

The book then goes on to offer bearing choices for all combinations.

If your crank outer webs are 2 and crankcase B the bearings are A ( blue)
If your crank outer webs are 1 and crankcase B the bearings are B (black)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for replay.

Ok here we go again. MY crankshft is stamped outisde web 2 inside web A. On the crankcase there is B stamped. And on Connecting rod there is B 2 stamped.
Now

if i understand right i need:
- connection rod marked B
-main crankcase bearing A - Blue
-connecting rod bearing E - yellow

?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes that is how I read it. Have you got the parts fiche ? If you need part numbers let me know.Also any ideas why it has happened? Blocked oil way somewhere??

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts