Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i am a new member .
i bought my africa twin a month ago as a resto project . so i new it was in need of a bit of TLC but i have come to a problem?
. i have remove the front calipers as they were siezed refurb them but as with most thing i have come to, the previous owner has missed treated them badly. the left hand caliper if you look forward is badley worn and i believe should be replaced. heres the problem ? i cant find one.
does anyone have a spare i can purchase. also when the engine is running it has a rattle (sounds like rear cam chain) when you roll the throttle off. i have had the cam cover off and the chain feels like there is no slack at all. any ideas.

this is my secound resto and this is going to be used not just tucked up to look good on sunny days so i really would like to sort it by end of next month. i allready have the first tour being organised.

any help would be very greatfully recieved . and if i can help anybody i gladly will .

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Hi thin lizzy, welcome to the forum firstly.

As for the calibers, Futter (Tristian) has a set of clippers he may be selling. I'll try and drop him a PM for you later tonight as I'm off out now.

Have to get together sometime I'm only up in Huntingdon and another AT owner lives in Canbridge also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that would be great . if i can get the africa on the road by april -may (its not far away) we could get a ride out. the brake is a worry for me as it has been ridden like it for some time ( the guy was a mug ). we have a ride planned with a group of friends we do this each year . i have taken my 1999 curvey sv650 which is spotless but 700 miles on that makes my back ache . i have been looking for a nice bike to do up for some time and when this come up i took my chance? it will be fine when done. and reading everybodys comments i am now getting desperate. any help would be greatfully recieved.
john

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum Thin Lizzy

Hope you get sorted soon

Not sure wether futters will fit - he's got an RD04

Later model transalp calipers are the same as are some of the early CBR600 ones

I had mine refurbed

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/product-reviews/82802-brake-caliper-refurbishment.html

They need a complete clean on a regular basis especially if you go off road and through deep water

Also make sure the sliders run free especially the rear - your brakes will be fine (they keep telling me this because I don't use them)

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Hi Thin lizzy would this be the calliper you are looking for.Cheers Francis

Attachments

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
That's the hangar Francis !

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I think the set that Futter has spare s from an RD07:thumb:

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
I think the set that Futter has spare s from an RD07:thumb:
Hi yes they are from an rd07 which is why they are not on my bike. Will pm you (thin lizzy) later.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks futter look forward to the message. keep it sensible please as i am on a tight budget and its getting tighter every time i do something.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
You have a pm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks brakes sortted thanks futter! now checked large wedge on the cam chain tensioner and its 5.3mm up book says 6mm . could that be causing the rattel on wind off of throttel as the chain looks fine. if so can i just change the tensioner and if so is it just an unbolt job or is it engine out job.

any ideas

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
Hi mate - no probs - not sure about the job involved - Haynes is your friend, you might get more joy over on the africa twin section as all the AT geeks hang out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts