1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a proud owner of an RD07 '95, but yesterday i noticed this on my rear rim:

photo_2019-07-24 15.10.52.jpeg photo_2019-07-24 15.10.56.jpeg

The rim seems to have cracks around the vent. Anyone had this issue, and is it too serious?

Thanks!

·
Stone Crazy
5,312 Posts
it is serious , I had the same on a rim bike was only 5 years old and had only done 15000, get it replaced asap

Reactions: faktor

·
Registered
694 Posts
My rear rim is way worse than that , the spokes have pulled out the rim is junk ... the bikes off the road now for a strip down as in frame engine and new rims ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My rear rim is way worse than that , the spokes have pulled out the rim is junk ... the bikes off the road now for a strip down as in frame engine and new rims ...
Oh really? Damn.

And until when did you ride it? Did you notice one spoke coming out and decided not to ride the bike anymore, or...?

Thanks!

·
Stone Crazy
5,312 Posts
are you sure that's just the coating that has cracked?
mine looked like that I took the tyre off and there was nothing but white powdered alloy left in places , I took the front tyre off to , that has started to corrode but not badly so i cleaned it up and painted it before refitting tyre . that seems to have stopped it
m

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently did a rim/spoke change, because of the same problem. Bought the stuff, laced the wheel and gave it to a local guy for truing. I took the old rims as a gift for him if he can find a use for them. Maybe for some old beater or for a doorstop. He said that the front was OK for an emergency repair, but the rear he wouldn't risk on putting it on anyone's bike. You can see the condition in the attached photos, though I can only find pics of the 21" one. That is his opinion, not mine, but after all - he does this for 15 or 20 years and I trust his experience more than mine :D
And moreover - the rims are anodized, not powder coated or something similar. So if the anodized part of the metal is falling apart - the white stuff behind it is aluminum oxide dust which is from the structural part of the rim.
I will also go with the "change them ASAP" opinion!
IMG_20190625_193656.jpg IMG_20190625_193706.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, yea, I can see the rim had a pretty rough one... I believe you :)

I'll def change mine, asap, but until new rims arrive, I have to ride these ones. The crack hasn't changed since I took the photo.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I have a pair of rims that are in good condition and have been powder coated in Gold. They were acid dipped to ensure no corrosion. They were built up but never used on the road. If you message me your contact details we can discuss if you want to buy them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts