Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all !

This winter i want to rebuild my beloved AT as it already eats some oil - about 1l/1000km or so.
I bought 8 years ago an complete engine with about 35.000 km, or so the seller told me. Anyway, i kept this engine in storage for 8 years and before i`ll put it on my bike i wanted to change all the seals, the clutch, rectify the cylinder head and so on.
After i`ve pulled the cylinder heads i descovered some scratches on the cylinder wall ... most of them i cannot feel them with my nail, only one or two, but barely.
I`m in a big dillema, should i go on with the rebuild and mount the new engine or should i discard it and put new pistons and rings on my old engine ?
Below is a picture with one of the cylinders.

IMG_7018.jpg

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi Marcos I would try a light honing with a cylinder honing tool. You will likely lose those scratches as they don't look too deep. If the spare engine truly has only 35,000Km then there should be very little wear on other parts.
Your older engine is a known quantity but would likely need more attention.
Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Marcos I would try a light honing with a cylinder honing tool. You will likely lose those scratches as they don't look too deep. If the spare engine truly has only 35,000Km then there should be very little wear on other parts.
Your older engine is a known quantity but would likely need more attention.
Good luck

Thanks for the reply, i will try to hone the cylinder and maybe i can get rid of the scratches. Should i install at least new piston rings after the honing ?

I don`t know if the 35.000 km mark is real or not, but the cam chain tensioner seem to be in spec, in looks really good and the clucth basket seems to be ok. I remember on my old engine at about 65.000 km i had a big rattle from my clutch basket and i had to repair it with some washers hardening the springs :) The only thing i don`t like is that the "new" engine is filthy inside from the very old engine oil ...
Anyway i inspected my old engine with a small endoscope camera and the cylinder wall seems all glazed, there is really no trace of honing, the cam chain on the front cylinder is out of spec, the back one seems ok. It has amost 240.000 km so probably is time to put it to rest. the new one seems to have way less km.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wow at 240k I think that engine is due a rest. With the replacement engine hone the bores then check original piston ring end gap. That will give a measure of wear. I have rebuilt 3 engines now the last one had bores honed and original rings, runs great and doesn't use a drop of oil. Cheers Jon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I opened up the engine and i went to hone the cylinders, but the guy at the workshop told me that the scratches won`t probably go away this way. So i ordered the cylindered to be bored +0.25mm and i ordered new piston and piston ring +0.25 mm.
The sad part was that the cylinder was exactly 81.00 mm, practicaly no wear whatsoever and the piston was also in very good condition. It had only some overheating marks and the scratches i found on cylinder wall matched on the piston. Anyway, after this rebuild i will practicaly have a 0 km engine.

Another question, i found few spots on the conecting rod with a very slight brownish tint, probably a very thin layer of rust ... should that worry me ?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts