Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Out of curiosity I changed the after-market exhaust on my 1993 RD07 back to the original factory exhaust. To my eye it looks better and has improved the ride. However, there is a noticeable ‘chirp/tweet’ high pitched noise esp at idle and lower revs. I have a feeling there must be a small hole somewhere in the can but where? Anyone had the same issue before and rectified it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You added 10kg to its weight, made it quieter, and as it's a '93 model, if it doesn't have pinhole rust in that muffler, it has done very well.
By the way, bikes are about what makes you gooey in the wee wee, it's a personal choice for you about what pleases your eye and ear. That's why Ducati Panigales and Hyosung Aquila GV250s have both sold.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know and did weigh up the growl of an after-market vs stock sound. I’ve had loud v-twins for most of my time biking and am quite enjoying a quieter ride but the chirping is annoying. Is there a fix for it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its def not that. It is a high pitched chirp like exhaust gas leaking through a small hole(s). There is a thread on a KLR forum describing similar issue but not sure how to fix the issue on my AT.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There are often drain holes on Honda standard silencers, on the underside, obviously, at the bottom of the wide section as it reduces in diameter to the inlet. Not generally noisy but you can feel some exhaust coming out when running. Prehaps some internal rust particals are partly blocking it and 'tuning' it?

Reactions: at750nh1e

·
Registered
235 Posts
My '03 TA 650 genuine exhaust had a mouse that turned out to be the chrome outers on the twin outlets becoming loose. It's so long ago I can't remember if it rattled, or made some other noise.
There's drain hole mentioned above is worth checking.
Also: did you give the muffler a good shake beefier refitting it? If a baffle has trusted loose inside it will make funny noises, chirps, whistles etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took silencer off today and gave it a good shake. Nothing loose-sounding in there and no rust expelled. The drain hole looks clear. I put it all back together but it seems slightly worse now - it’s a pretty annoying noise. Guess I’ll have to put up with it unless any other readers have a fix?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts