Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all I'm starting to transplant my AT into a transalp frame and wanted to know if anyone has done the above.im still waiting for the rest of my bike to arrive in australia but have the doner frame and the tank,side panels and a few other bits.the tank sits on the frame ok but the 2 bits of dowel that the side mounting rubbers fit onto are way to low and i will have to fabricate some new ones?

cheers cam

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
hi all I'm starting to transplant my AT into a transalp frame and wanted to know if anyone has done the above.im still waiting for the rest of my bike to arrive in australia but have the doner frame and the tank,side panels and a few other bits.the tank sits on the frame ok but the 2 bits of dowel that the side mounting rubbers fit onto are way to low and i will have to fabricate some new ones?

cheers cam
most folk transplant the RD03/4 tanks as they fit :thumbup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers raymo i don't think ill find one out here and i like the look of the RD07 tank but your right that would be the easiest option.
would welding new mounts on my frame warp it in any way?ive got a few new mounts to weld on just small tabs to accommodate the crash plate fairing etc then powder coating.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
if your just welding tabs on I can see than being an issue,

if your going to the effort of welding you could strengthen the frame, look at picute of the RDO4/3 frame and the Transalp, the Transalp has a wee plate bridging the v at the foot rest and rear frame member , where this is actually a box section on the AT with the same frame geometry

Are you slotting in the AT alloy swing arm?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can see where you mean raymo that would be just above the hole for the main engine/swingarm mount?how would i strengthen it and keep it looking tidy?yeah i will keep the AT swingarm but I'm not sure if the AT shock will fit? i did find a post somewhere on the interweb where someone squeezed a KTM shock in somehow?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
i can see where you mean raymo that would be just above the hole for the main engine/swingarm mount?how would i strengthen it and keep it looking tidy?yeah i will keep the AT swingarm but I'm not sure if the AT shock will fit? i did find a post somewhere on the interweb where someone squeezed a KTM shock in somehow?
My budget Rallye build, the RallyeAlp - ADVrider

ladder106 on this form has converted an Alp

you could weld in a box section,
as per the AT frame or beef the Transalp plate up
( it's quire thin so some beefer flat bar could replace it and not be too obtrusive )

the 07 shock is slightly longer than the alp/ RD03/4 shock, so ok it you dont mind it getting a bit taller :)

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Hi Cam,
Have all your bits been dispatched yet from the UK?, if not I could stick in an RD04 tank for you if it's bben sent from the same place in Cambridgeshire.
Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi jason hows it goin? yeah mate its on the way but cheers for the offer.ive got the tank sitting on the frame and i could make it fit with a welder and some bits and pieces i just have to wait for the rest of the bike to get here so i can put it together first,make sure it all lines up.hows the RD03 coming along?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
hi jason hows it goin? yeah mate its on the way but cheers for the offer.ive got the tank sitting on the frame and i could make it fit with a welder and some bits and pieces i just have to wait for the rest of the bike to get here so i can put it together first,make sure it all lines up.hows the RD03 coming along?
Hi Cam,

She's almost ready for paint now, just have to decide on colours!!!! Will be watching your build with interest. What was the reason for not using the AT frame?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't use the AT frame because it won't comply with AU safety standards i can take it to an engineer but that costs millions loll found this TA frame in a breakers yard its been sitting there since the early 90's.the AT won't be here till end of april tho so will be a while till i do the re build but i have access to a school metal work classroom full of lathes and welders etc so I'm gagging to get started:blob8:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I can't use the AT frame because it won't comply with AU safety standards i can take it to an engineer but that costs millions loll found this TA frame in a breakers yard its been sitting there since the early 90's.the AT won't be here till end of april tho so will be a while till i do the re build but i have access to a school metal work classroom full of lathes and welders etc so I'm gagging to get started:blob8:
Good luck with it, can't wait to see the results:thumbright:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts