Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your view on the 750 engine and the vibration level?

After 50 000 km over 7 years on my RD07a vibration is the one thing that could push me to buying another bike.

In my opinion, anything over 100 km/h over a longer period of time is unpleasant, sometimes almost painful.

I have added a 17 tooth front sprocket to reduce the revs on highways and rox risers with anti vibration tech (rubber inserts). However longer stretches of highway riding is still unpleasant.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I would try a different Africa twin to see how it compare with yours or possible check carbs are balanced. They do vibrate a bit especially at motorway speed and certainly okay up to about 70 pus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I texted a friend about this today. He has ridden an Africa Twin for many years and long distances. His reply was that he used thick padded Winter gloves also during Summer to spare his hands.

My bike runs perfect, but no I have never balanced the carbs. It is certainly on my to do list for the winter. Would balancing the carbs make a big difference when it comes to vibration?

I have a 80km motorway commute to work and I am not sure that I have the right bike for the job.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Are the original bar ends fitted on the bike they are a vibration dampener

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Yes the original bar ends are there.
I can't say i have ever noticed any excessive vibration on mine and i am sensitive to it. Only things i can think of to cause vibration are
unbalanced carbs.
wheels out of balance.
knobbly tyres.
rubber handlebar mounts gone.
bar end weights missing
thin handlebar grips like the dirt bike ones

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
unbalanced carbs - Never checked, need to check during winter
wheels out of balance - Recently and perfectly balanced
knobbly tyres - Tried different types of tires with little difference
rubber handlebar mounts gone - Still there, perhaps they harden over time?
bar end weights missing - Bar ends still there
thin handlebar grips like the dirt bike ones - Yes thin and quite hard heated grips.

Any recommendation for good grips?

·
Registered
767 Posts
rubber handlebar mounts gone - Still there, perhaps they harden over time?
There's a recent thread on refurbishing them

Here we go

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If you cant find anything wrong with the bike maybe something like this might help never used them myself so cant say if their any good

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here are 2 ideas:

Some of the best grips out there:

And if you need heated grips simply install a set of the thin wrap style elements such as this:

This may yield slightly less heat than your hard grips, but they will be 99% more comfortable.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Small improvements have been made.

I tried riding with thick winter gloves today. It does indeed make a big difference. I have also ordered grip puppies suggested in this thread to put over my heated grips.

But am I really the only person who thinks that the Africa Twin is unnecessarily vibey and that it is a big drawback for longer tours?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi....Grip Puppies are really good, very easy to fit, and make a huge difference. Fitted mine after making my top yoke handlebar bushing completely solid for the MOT...Really good now..well worth £13 quid..They do increase the grip size diameter a lot, but with size 12 plus mitts it's a massive improvement all round for me....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Worn chain and sprockets/tight spots can also cause vibration, I think for the commute you are doing something like a Honda NC750x would suit better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's quite easy to determine if vibration comes from the engine or rotating parts such as wheels or sprockets, chain. Try to ride the same (high) speed in fourth and fifth gear and you'll notice quite an increase in vibration with revs.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
It's quite easy to determine if vibration comes from the engine or rotating parts such as wheels or sprockets, chain. Try to ride the same (high) speed in fourth and fifth gear and you'll notice quite an increase in vibration with revs.
I would check the carb balance first. Then do a full tune-up if that doesn't fix the problem. I've had little to complain about with my bikes. The carb sync is a pain in the butt but we'll worth the time and trouble IMHO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts