Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gents,

So, right in to it. As the title states my 2000 RD07 J-spec if that matters won't start. Quick clarification, I've hunted through the forum and thought I was on the right track on the parts I changed out. Symptoms: Fired it up this morning warmed up and idled fine, rode it to work about 35 min away speed of 120-140km/hr. As I was pulling into the parking garage she died on me. Threw it in neutral and tried firing it up nada just turned over. Put on the choke fired up, tried to rev it, it then died immediately. Choke out refused to fire up at all. This happened to me about 3 weeks ago as well. Changed out the fuel pump and voltage/rectifier was and was able to ride to work. The power did feel somewhat lacking on the ride in. What am I missing?? Should I just take it to a mechanic and have them do a full once over?

Thanks for any inputs!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, with some more research I'm now thinking possibly the choke is bad or the CDI? Anyway to check these? Gotta figure out how to get home after work tonight.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I think fuel pump next time it wont start give it a knock it works on contact breakers and they burn out. You can bypass it with a pipe but tank has to be at least half full

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok update, just got back from vacation and picked up the bike from the mechanic. Basically how it went bike started in the shop took a 20 sec test drive slightly sluggish but it ran so all good right? Wrong! Picked it up headed back to the house broke down a block away. Managed to fire it back up and started heading back to the shop where it died again while raining yippee! Contacted the mechanic he came out perplexed tried firing it up a couple of times finally kicked over. And when it started IT STARTED! Strong both cylinders revved to the moon and back. Followed him back to his shop smooth power all through the powerband and no hesitation. Let it sit heat up so the fans would kick on and it ran strong. Took it on several high speed runs no problems. Was going to ride it today but deluge. So, far it is running great. So, my question and doubt is this. The mechanic said that actually since it was a new pump it was clogged. Thing is and I cannot tell for sure is if the fuel filter was clogged as well because when I did the pump bypass before this, it ran long enough for me to get home. Also could all the bogging down and this recent event merely have been the carbs burning out the residual trash that was in it. Hopefully the weather clears up soon and I can go for a ride and put my anchors in it. But has anyone else had these problems with damn near such a simple fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m not too sure what this mechanic means by the new pump being clogged. With what, dirt? It should be sealed, clean, spotless in fact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts