Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

Managed to get a few hours in the man cave before the big day and had issues fitting the OEM airbox on my RD07A.
As noted by others the connecting rubbers from airbox to carb inlets can shorten with heat and fuel.
The result is they are now too short :(

These are the rubbers from another post - the seal on mine has also broken.

intake2.jpg

They are poorly designed with only a small ridge to keep them in place (not Honda high standards). I can only get them seated properly
by pressing down with a screwdriver - however when I tighten the securing band they lift off. This is a major concern if the connectors
come off in the future as it will create an air leak.

I've checked the forum but there does not seem to be a solid solution. Current plan is to get a hairdryer on the rubbers to see if I can get a bit
more length. Or make a spacer to raise the carb inlet height.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Merry Christmas :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I read about the overtightening - good point.
However the front cylinder hose is not long enough so has to be stretched - this is a certain failure in the
future.
I checked this morning and there's the possibility of putting a bush beneath the carb connectors - just needto find some
suitable material now. I'm thinking 5 mm.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Properly fitting the airbox over the carbs takes a lot of patience. But the more you practice, the easier it gets. If the rubber boot pops out when tightening, it is because it is not engaged deep enough. Use a screw driver to place and push down the boots over the carbs. Anyway, I feel your pain as I also experienced your frustration. But now refitting the airbox is done in a snap.

Lee

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Lee - helped me sort things.

Front was the worst so I got both boots roughly in place then fitted airbox bolts either side to secure.
I was then able to use a tyre lever levered against the frame to push the boot down on the carb while tightening the strap.
A mate or a "third hand" would have been helpful !

Body work is not going on for a few months yet so I'll keep an eye on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts