Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been using the xrv website’s invaluable technical information for over a year now to help me rebuild a much neglected RD07A I found on someones drive way. To cut a long story short I had to leave work a few years ago to become my partners full time carer, as much as I enjoy what I now do it does mean I can’t stray much from the house. So I started looking for a project that I could do in my shed, satisfy my manly urges to get oil under my nails but remain within shouting distance of the house.

After many months searching the local adds I found a 1999 RD07A Africa Twin frame, engine and a box of parts with V5 advertised. Not knowing too much about the AT’s I jumped in the deep end and bought it. I knew it had been an insurance write off and was used as a parts bike for several years. When I got it home and had a good look at it there was about 60% of the bike: frame, forks, swing arm, petrol tank, damaged clocks, loom, handle bars, headlights and a box of bolts. Luckily the frame and forks where nice and straight and the engine only 17600 miles so I decided to do a full nut and bolt restoration.

Now here is the question! I don’t have the time to ride the AT due to my partners condition but I need something to keep me challenged and keep me sane so I’m looking for a new project. Basically this means that I should sell the AT but I have no Idea of value and would appreciate your advice. Being previously written off CAT B might be an issue to some, however it is road legal with V5 and MOT. Or should I replace the frame, some available in Germany, and register it to make it more appealing?
DSC_0460.jpg

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Looks like you've done a great job on that.

Sorry to hear about your situation and your partner's condition

The latter would be a better option in my opinion as it would open up your target audience even more

·
Registered
524 Posts
I might be wrong but i thought CAT B write off vehicles could not be put back on the road?

·
Registered
236 Posts
+1 that was my understanding too.
I can't reconcile CAT B and being legal on road. You may want to recheck the classification.
A & B - scrap only; C & D can go back on road after repair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Belive it or not CAT B motorcycles can be put back on the road, DVLA have advised me that the law at the time of the bike being writen off stated that the bike can not be sold without informing the new keeper of the CAT B status. Unlike cars insurance companies can issue a CAT B for cosmetic damage for bikes, so it is up to the individual to decide with motorcycles, however CAT B cars have to be scraped due to chasis damage.

Belive me I thought long and hard about putting the bike back on the road, but as there was only signs of cosmetic fairing damage and no frame or fork damage, so I seen no reason not too. However, before I could put this AT back on the road the only thing I had to do was provide the DVLA with confirmation of the engine and frame numbers so they could issue the V5C. So all very legal and above board.

Thanks for the advice, I think replacing the frame and re-registering it will be the best way to go as CAT B causes too much confusion. If anybody knows of a UK frame for sale please let me know as this would be a lot les hassle than importing one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Very interesting - good to know this fact as I've restored Cat C and D bikes before but always
rejected Cat B.
To be honest, if it were my bike I'd inform any potential buyer of the bike's history and just sell at a discounted price.
You've done such an excellent job on the restoration seems a shame to rip it apart again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Odd as everything I've seen indicates that Cat B are only good for parts. https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles/insurance-writeoffs

It could still be a problem selling the bike on, and for any future owner getting tax and insurance. Reframing it would be a hassle but would make it relatively easier to sell on.

Is it currently taxed and insured for the road?
For what it's worth, you used to be able to apply for a VIC (Vehicle Identity Check) and in certain cases, get a Category B write-off back on the road. They scrapped this scheme last year though. I don't believe there is any current way to do this, but it shouldn't affect vehicles already reinstated. The DVLA should be able to confirm whether you can legally drive a specific vehicle though.

The only major catch I'd consider is insurance companies, many will actively state that they won't insure Cat B write offs, but there used to be a few insurance companies that didn't seem too fussed.

You could possibly sell it elsewhere but the hassle of exporting/transportation, I'd have thought a frame would be both a cheaper and less time consuming option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the bike is MOT'd taxed, insured and on the road. The insurance company only asked for a copy of the V5 and MOT certificate, so no real issues at all. As an engineer I've been extremly fussy with the bike rebuild standards, if any part couldn't be refurbished (bearing in the hubs etc) I simply repalced them (brake discs, tyres etc).

So far I've spent around £2400 on the AT, must admit the bike is like new if not better than new. This has been my first experience of an AT, they are a great machine, a bit top heavy but very agile on the move. I can understand why they have such a strong following. I am hoping to get back what I've spent but I recon it would cost £400 to £500 (import, register and MOT) to fit a new frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts