Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am having a few problems with the AT, cuts out noot long after start up when riding cold, leave it 19 minutes and it starts again with no more problems!! I have serviced it, changed plugs, fuel filter, fuel lines etc but still happening.

only thing left is the fuel pump, it runs with intermittent vibrations, but works! Genuine Honda one is £220 +vat at Fowlers!!

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative, its only a fuel pump after all!!!!

Or better still, does anyone have one for sale?

Cheers

·
Hill Rider
3,065 Posts
The pump does "vibrate" intermittantly as normal, so the fact that it appears to be working would, to my mind, rule out a fuel pump problem!

How are the chokes? If they are sticking, you could get the bike dying due to an over rich mixture.

When starting my @'s and even my Transalps, I try not to use the choke at all, just holding the revs at around 2k on the throttle for a minute whilst the engine warms up.
Once the throttle has been relaxed, the bike still chunters and coughs a bit when used in really cold weather, but normally within a mile or so the revs have settled and all is right in the Honda V-Twin world.

The points on the original fel pump can be cleaned up - they tend to wear very quickly if the fuel supply is interupted for any time - this causes the points to "chatter" and burn up quickly. The points can also be replaced - I think Wemoto do a replacement kit . . . or is it Rugged Roads :rolleyes:

I have always replaced my original fuel pumps with a Facet electronic pump before any pumping problems occurred - a well documents process somewhere on this site. Rugged Roads used to do a Facet pump kit that also contained a 90 degree adaptor for ease of connection.

Hope this helps.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The pump does "vibrate" intermittantly as normal, so the fact that it appears to be working would, to my mind, rule out a fuel pump problem!

How are the chokes? If they are sticking, you could get the bike dying due to an over rich mixture.

When starting my @'s and even my Transalps, I try not to use the choke at all, just holding the revs at around 2k on the throttle for a minute whilst the engine warms up.
Once the throttle has been relaxed, the bike still chunters and coughs a bit when used in really cold weather, but normally within a mile or so the revs have settled and all is right in the Honda V-Twin world.

The points on the original fel pump can be cleaned up - they tend to wear very quickly if the fuel supply is interupted for any time - this causes the points to "chatter" and burn up quickly. The points can also be replaced - I think Wemoto do a replacement kit . . . or is it Rugged Roads :rolleyes:

I have always replaced my original fuel pumps with a Facet electronic pump before any pumping problems occurred - a well documents process somewhere on this site. Rugged Roads used to do a Facet pump kit that also contained a 90 degree adaptor for ease of connection.

Hope this helps.

Steve T

:cool:
Got in just before me Steve :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the information guys. I have ordered a fuel pump repair kits that my mechanic has assured me he can sort out!!

What could possibly go wrong!!! :toothy8:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Facet fuel pump ordered from Rugged Roads, saves messing about with repair kits!!!

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
My Facet lasted 75000 miles and only seized due to sand (feche feche) getting past the two inline filters
The great thing about these bikes is they can run on gravity if the tank is full enough using the bypass method if you're on the flat and no more than 1/4 throttle. They will do 50 ish but any more than that or try opening the throttle and the rear cycinder gets starved of fuel and you drop to one cylinder. Stop, let the fuel equalize and you can proceed

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Facet lasted 75000 miles and only seized due to sand (feche feche) getting past the two inline filters
The great thing about these bikes is they can run on gravity if the tank is full enough using the bypass method if you're on the flat and no more than 1/4 throttle. They will do 50 ish but any more than that or try opening the throttle and the rear cycinder gets starved of fuel and you drop to one cylinder. Stop, let the fuel equalize and you can proceed
It lasted 75,000 miles?

By my reckoning, my bike has done 16,500 in 21 years!! That is about another 95 years I will get out of that facet pump!!!!!!!!!! Lol.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The points on my standard pump started sticking about 55000 miles i cleaned them and were fine but decided to put new points in just in case so good for another 55000 miles which could be 50 years the amount of time it gets used now:-D
The points can stick from lack of use. over use can burn them out can be caused by running low on fuel regularly forcing the pump to work harder to keep the carbs full

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is fuel leaking from the pump inside the rubber sleeve, so I think a new fuel pump was the correct choice!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
There is fuel leaking from the pump inside the rubber sleeve, so I think a new fuel pump was the correct choice!!
Definitely the right choice, the points have been known to ignite that leaking fuel and the lot go up in flames, not just the AT that pump is common to loads of bikes from that era the KTM950 had one as well as the Honda's

·
Old fool, but i'm alive..
1 Posts
Hey guys, a bit late with a response due to sign in problems. What happened to me was two fold: 1. the points were totally burned away!!!. So ordered a new set, connected all up and the bike would start better but would stop after a bit. Also checked my fuel lines and filters. In the end i took it all apart again, and i missed one other problem. 2. The wire coming out of the pump itself into the plastic cover got hard with age and cracked, so that wire would intermittently SHORT AGAINST THE METAL BODY OF THE PUMP HOUSING. Too little space for electrical tape or shrink sleave...so a couple of drops of superglue solved it for me, but that pump is no my spare...

Just keep in mind for future reference...

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Suzuki Carry mini Van is using the same fuel pump. It works great. O bought 3 ( 25 Euros each from İstanbul)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts