Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd give this a proper thread of it's own so it's easier to find.

Continued from "The eagle has landed." As it's a German Import. :hitler:

Here's a few pics so far.

First day I got her went for a short spin around the block just to see what worked and what didn't.

Head gasket is gone. Front forks bottom out when mounting paths ect, speedo not working, but other then that it just needs TLC.
So back to the lock up to take a few pics and start stripping her for the engine repairs and freshen up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the saddle back the other day. It was got new foam and leather.
Happy with it but will get an original when I can find one.

Talked to Image works about the decals and made a few changes as I've decided to go with a fresh new colour scheme. Their now paid for and I should have them in a few days.

I dropped the engines off to my mechanic and he's looking into exactly whats needed parts wise to get the engine from the bike up to a good standard off build with out going over board.

:D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jobs list.
1. Touch up Frame.
2. Fit new cables.
3. Prep all panels and tank for painting.
4. Paint all Panels and tank.
5. Fit new decals.
6. Rust treat and paint the mounting frame for the clocks and lights.
7. Re-grease the shock mounting points.
8. Change front fork oil and springs.
9. Fit new break Discs and pads.
10.Change the brakes fluid.
11.Help rebuild the engine although Phil normally makes me do the work so I'l learn with him standing over me.
12.Spray the wheels as I have a gold back wheel and chrome front wheel. The back wheel in the pics is not useable due to cracks and breaks.
13. Refit everything and enjoy.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Looking forward to watching this build. Might see you in Ireland if you are going to the Paddy Dakar

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be there alright Paul. It's one of the reasons I bought this @. The other been I miss my last @ just to much not to have bought this one. :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Image works contacted me yesterday to say the decals with the colourchange where finished and in the post this evening. I finally decided on a colour for the tank after spending the last few weeks looking at car colours in cloudy and sunny weather to see which looked best in both.

I've also done the side and centre stand so am happy.

Small bit done this morning. Just fibre glassed the plastics where ever there where cracks weather large or small. I'll start preparation for paint next week if I get a chance at all. Loads of sanding filling and sanding again to be done as there a fair bit of deep scratching and gouging in the plastics. I'll post pics when I get to the lap top.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bit more done today. Got the two back wheels over to Phil and he changed the tyres over. The wheel that was on the bike was completely corroded. The whole inside was broken and sandy. As the tyre on it was only new it baffles me why someone fit it on such a dangerous wheel. Straight into the bin with it.

So the replacement wheel just needs a finish coat then on it goes. Didn't want to be putting tyre irons to a finish coat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few pics.
Front cowl.

Side fairings.

And the fitting of the back tyre to the replacement wheel.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Good project here will be following with interest, looking forward to seeing the end result:thumbright:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the back wheel finished today. Turned out well. Happy with it.

Won't be near it for a few days now but early next week I'll but the back wheel back on so I have a rolling Frame and move the bike to where the engine is but first I'll wipe the front wheel off and give it the good news. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not much done since I was last on just sanded some of the plastics and primed them for spraying. A small peace of the decals was missing but a quick call to image works sorted that. Great lads to deal with.

I removed the Front wheel and got rid of the break discs. The front forks are in a bad way and need replacing due to the axle been fitted on the wrong thread last time it was done so not happy but I have been offered another set so happier now.

Engine work starts hopefully next week. I'll get pics in the next few days and update.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Head gasket x2, bottom cylinder gasket x2 doing the piston rings seen as I'm not sure of mileage so piston rings. Spark plugs x4. That's it for now.

Everything else I'll use between the two engines. If Phil the machanic says anything else needs doing then I'll have to get them but he heard it running and recons big end and main bearings are good. Some noise fro
The clutch basket so I'll have a look at the other clutch before looking for a new one.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Both head gaskets gone?! :eek:

How many miles on the engine? Any service history?

Good luck with the rebuild, I have loads of pics from when I stripped mine down if you need any reference. :thumbright:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure. Breach in the water jacket some where. Not sure of the mileage as its not an original engine. No history with the bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
please make some pics of the inside of the motor! i am real curious about its guts and its mechanical problems. the rear wheel looks great in the pic but if you do a rebuild why don't you sandblast and powdercoat the rims/frame and other stuff?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the old rear hub that will be sent to away for a new black rim and stainless spokes in the very near future. The front wheel will also be done at that time. The fairings are all getting painted at the minute and as I need the bike back as soon as possible the frame will just be getting a touch up in areas needed at the minute. Crash bars have been recons and so to has the rads and oil cooler.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts