Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

Registered
Yep. Another big fan of your thread here. You have done a truly amazing job, it is a new bike practically. And you are also pretty good at photos. :)

It made me embarrassed to put the progress of mine on :) Joking, it didn't really. It has spurred me on on a few occasions too. While I am aware it is in a completely different league to your resto, I am happy with the progress on mine, just a cramped garage makes for poor pictures.

Keep the pics coming, they are very much enjoyed and appreciated.

Registered
Definitely a big fan of this thread. I assume the radiators are the ones you asked about on p1. Very curious how they perform.

Registered
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Definitely a big fan of this thread. I assume the radiators are the ones you asked about on p1. Very curious how they perform.
Just ebay specials, they look to be decent quality. fingers crossed...
The radiators on P1 were just my old bent ones, too far gone lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
Painting some silver parts...

Brake caliper rebuilds. new pistons, seals, grease, cleaned up etc. etc.

Forks rebuild...

Cleaned up and painted along with the other silver parts..

(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
Rear suspension linkages in place, with new bearings and seals, refinished fasteners, and freshly painted parts...

Triple clamps and handle bars installed. Also the instrument cluster, most of the wiring, battery box, foot pegs, cables, and some other bits n peices.

I now have to sort out some rims and spokes, the original rims are in pretty bad shape. Both dented, but the front is the worst and will definitely need to be replaced, this shouldn't be an issue as it is a common size and spoke number/layout. I can hopefully salvage the rear rim (a few minor dent repairs), as it is an uncommon size and layout being 32 spoke. I don't want to fork out for new rims if I can help it, they aren't cheap!.

But I think next up I will attempt making the new front body panels. I have a plan in mind to make them in fiberglass, but I have had very little experience in composites or making molds etc.

Looking good so far, hopefully more to come soon.

Registered
This is awesome work Buddy.. Amazing before and after pictures. Do you have a mechanic background? I assume engine and gearbox rebuild is quite a challenging task.
Keep it up and cant wait to see the final product... So would you be using it for desert rides?

Registered
" I will attempt making the new front body panels. I have a plan in mind to make them in fiberglass, but I have had very little experience in composites or making molds etc."

Now you DEFINATELY have my attention !(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
This is awesome work Buddy.. Amazing before and after pictures. Do you have a mechanic background? I assume engine and gearbox rebuild is quite a challenging task.
Keep it up and cant wait to see the final product... So would you be using it for desert rides?
Thanks mate.. Just a hobbyist mechanic, I work as an electrician. I'm always building or fixing something, I find it very rewarding.

The engine/gearbox rebuild is easy enough with the right tools, and some experience. It's not daunting if you take plenty of pictures before dismantling each assembly, that way you can always go back and look at how it worked before you pulled it apart. Taking pictures from different angles also helps. And ALWAYS bag and label each part or assembly, even if you are sure that you will remember what it is, or where it goes. zip bags are very cheap online.

A trick I used with the gearbox parts and how they were ordered is, place the gears/spacers/snap-rings etc. onto a length of rod or wire in the correct sequence as I removed them. This keeps them in the correct order. Then when re-assembling, just reverse the order back onto the corresponding shaft...

The complete gearbox shaft assemblies, as taken out of the case...

Counter-shaft parts dismantled in order and orientation onto some aluminium rod. I placed tape on the openings of the snap rings so they couldn't fall off the rod. Then the parts are easily installed onto the new shaft in the correct order. (Same for the Main-shaft and corresponding parts for inspection)

The Honda workshop manual is very detailed for this (much better than the haynes manual) as a reference.
But I find this way fairly fool proof.

Oh, and I doubt I'll ever do any desert riding on the bike (only in my dreams haha), it will probably only get ridden a few times a year, in-between future projects 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Ive been busy with the fairing, and have made some progress...
Before you laugh, I know it looks like crap now, but bear with me as I attempt to polish this turd. 馃槀:poop:

I first made up a quick frame to support the fairing at the correct dimensions, and at the approx horizontal level of how it will sit when on the bike, so i can make the headlights sit at the right angle etc. Then screwed the three fairing parts together.

I am going to (attempt to) make it in one piece, as the shape is custom it would be nearly impossible to seamlessly match up three separate parts, also one piece will be stronger and easier to paint. One piece will also look better without any join lines or fasteners, and will be easier to install and remove.
A fiberglass mold will be taken from this original butchered fairing "plug", and will be in 3 pieces, then bolted together to make the one piece finished fairing.

I have cut sections off the original fairing off to accommodate the shape I am going for (circled in red). I am restricted by the original mounting points to the tank, the top windscreen bracket fastening holes, and the top center hole above the headlights.

I will also have to make a new windscreen. But I'll worry about that later...

I considered using plaster, or clay, or similar to get the rough shape started, but then thought expanding foam would be the quickest and easiest to roughly shape. It only needs to be a rough base to support the polyester body filler i will use to mold the final shape, as it doesn't have to be thick to be strong, sands and files back easy enough, and can be finely shaped and finished.

The foam expanded more than I expected, but it was easily cut back with a hacksaw blade.

I used a hole-saw to cut initial headlight openings, and then cut some rough shape with a razor blade. You can see in this pic how much original plastic I have trimmed away...

Here is a look at the support frame. very quick and rough, but it does the job nicely and is actually quite solid.
It needs to be fairly rigid so the filler can't be distorted and crack before I can get a mold from it.

Here it is after a few thin layers of body filler... I used some PVC pipe section to form the headlight surrounds. they are 90mm pipe joiner, so >90mm I.D.
I am looking at 90mm universal style headlights to use, and will have to make a custom support bracket for them to suit the fairing.

Still very rough, but starting to look more like what I am going for.

Heaps of sanding and filing, and repeating to come.

Registered
Discussion Starter #54
I have been busy shaping the fairing, and am now getting it close to how I want it...

Still a rough finish here, but the shape is getting closer.

Filling the finer imperfections and sanding to a smoother finish.

Now very close to the final shape and finish, so I applied the first coat of primer to be sanded back to show where I need any more filling or priming...

More sanding to the final shape. The primer gives a good contrast to better see the finer lines/edges when sanding

The primer also helps to fill any very fine imperfections or edges etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I wanted to 'square off' the side cut out of the fairing, since the side air intake has been filled it looked to me like there is too much area there now.
I prefer the squarer shape of the RD03/4 fairing, and this shape is closer to the 'rally' style look I am after.

I cut one side to the shape I wanted, then made a template to match the other side.

I then formed up a return edge to retain the strength, and give a uniform shape

Finally happy with the shape and finish, I have re-primed and fine sanded.
Next step will be prepping for fiberglass, and hopefully I can get a nice mold from it. 馃馃

Registered
You are doing a great job. You are clearly a multi-talented dude. :) Much like the rest of the resto, the fairing mold is very impressive.

Each to their own, as they say... me, I am not a fan of the after-market fairings on AT, even Boano; I think they only take away from the original look of the bike and add nothing. But, your one seems to have somehow preserved, what smarter people than me would call "the design language" of the original. :)

Well done.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
You are doing a great job. You are clearly a multi-talented dude. :) Much like the rest of the resto, the fairing mold is very impressive.

Each to their own, as they say... me, I am not a fan of the after-market fairings on AT, even Boano; I think they only take away from the original look of the bike and add nothing. But, your one seems to have somehow preserved, what smarter people than me would call "the design language" of the original. :)

Well done.
Thanks mate.
Yes, I agree. I looked at the aftermarket fairings, and they look cool too, but just not the look I am going for. And since my fairing was stuffed anyway, I thought I may as well attempt it. Its the only way I'll get what i want.
It is alot of work though, and could still fail yet...

Registered
Thank you, I'll post what I can as I go. I appreciate the replies, I wasn't sure if anyone was interested in yet another resto 馃榿
Not interested in yet another resto???? Your job is simply SUPERB! Unbelieveable work and THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge and images! You are doing all of us AT lovers and owners a HUGE SERVICE! Keep up the good work Bro, and I wish you the best in all your efforts and ventures.

Reactions: AussieTwin

Registered
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks Udaya, much appreciated mate 馃憤

I have been busy prepping, and laying the fiberglass mold.

I made 2 divider panels up to section the work into 3 separate molds, then used hot a glue gun and paddle pop /ice cream sticks to support them. Then any gaps were filled with modelling clay to hopefully give a seemless join between the mold pieces when finished. You can see the front mounting hole (and all others) is filled with the clay also, this will leave a very slight impression in the mold, and then the final fairing to show exactly where to drill these mounting holes.

I previously sanded the fairing as fine as i could so it is very smooth, then applied a light layer of PVC release agent, and a few coats of wax.

Same for the other side. The horizontal timber was attached to support the sides when applying the fiberglass.

And here we go...

Work the resin into the cloth with a brush then roller to completely soak the cloth, and work out any air bubbles.

~2 1/2 layers, and left to set overnight.

Other side. Same again...

41 - 60 of 86 Posts