Honda XRV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #62
Once the mold was completely cured, I was able to remove the pieces without any damage.
Before I separated the pieces, I drilled holes along the flange so they will align back together perfectly when bolted to make the fairing.

The pieces line up really nice, as I'd hoped.

The parts as removed from the "plug"

I trimmed the parts, and cleaned up the edges, using the witness marks left in the mold as a guide, the final part will show the same witness lines, then can be trimmed exactly the same as the original fairing.
I also added more bolts along the flange for strength, and to ensure there will be no separation along the joints when laying the fiberglass for the finished fairing.

I measured the overall width of the fuel tank mounts, then installed some brackets onto the mold, so I can clamp to support it at the correct final width as it would most likely flex inwards and make the final part too narrow at these points when cured.

So far so good. 馃 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
Finally making the fairing...

This was quite difficult as I made it in one piece and the sides of the mold are vertical, and even leaning back inwards a little, so the resin and glass mat wanted to slide down or off the mold as I was applying it.
I struggled on and had to apply a small area at a time, worked slower and really worked the resin into the matting so it held its own weight and shape easier as I went along. It was much harder to get a nice even layer down, compared to the mold process (done in 3 pieces and each on a horizontal plane).
Once the first layer tacked off a little, the second layer stuck a bit better and was easier to apply.
I ladded extra matting to the broader areas, and where it will add rigidity to the panel. Then left it to cure. Again.

Once fully cured, I was able to remove the molds without damage and reveal the new fairing...
It was a lot of time and work to get to this stage, so I am very happy to finally see the result of my efforts, and relieved that my plan worked as hoped.

It is very rigid, and being one piece, it should be stronger than the original and also easier to install and remove when needed.

Cleaned, trimmed, and lightly sanded...
Still needs finer trimming & sanding, priming, painting etc. But I'm very happy with the result 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #68
I've made up a support for the new smaller rally-look headlights, using part of the original bracket to keep the standard fitment to the rest of the frame. They are aim adjustable up/down & left/right.

Test fitting the new fairing, everything lines up nicely. I have filled any pin holes in the fiberglass with stop putty, when sanded back almost nothing is left behind.

Fuel tank sandblasted, ready for primer & paint.

Had the wheels powder-coated, I've got new stainless spokes to suit. Original rear and a replacement common size front.

Fairing finished and ready for final prime & paint.

Making up the decals... I measured what I needed when test fitting the fairing to the bike.

Looks like I'm finally ready for paint! Next chance I get...

Space Emperor
That is just awesome work ... what a bike you'll end up with, wow

Registered
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
I've taken advantage of the nice weather here, and got some painting done.

White base first, then masked up for the light blue..

Then re-mask, and on goes the red.

all good so far... sick of masking/taping at this point.

I then carefully re-installed the parts onto the bike, to mark out the dark blue areas. This way the colour lines should line up perfectly when back together.

On with the dark blue.

Looking good, base coats complete now.. sick of masking and taping!

Very happy with how they are looking. I'll paint the inside of the fairing satin black later.

Registered
Discussion Starter #72
Now, I know the Cyril Neveu bike has the huge Honda text across the middle, and "El Charro" across the bottom, but I really like the original Africa Twin logo, so that's what i'm going for. :)

Decals on, ready for a few coats of clear.

Clear coat, finally...

I'm very happy with the result, and glad it's finally finished and drying in the shed.

Registered
Such a pleasure to see the progress of this restoration - very many thanks for taking the time to document it here so well.
Cheers.

Registered
I've never seen such a superb job on any AT, and come to think of it, on any bike, carried out in a home shed! Amazing work man! Thank you for taking up SO MUCH TIME and EFFORT to document the entire resto process in detail. The benefit to us AT owners is beyond gratitude. Keep up the excellent work.

Reactions: AussieTwin

Registered
Just read through this full restoration thread and what a pleasure it was, you have some serious skills my friend keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing it's completed

61 - 80 of 86 Posts