Honda XRV Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Hey nice job it’s coming together, where did you source your black rims from ? I’m looking for some for my Rdo7a
The rear is original RD07A and the front is from an old DR650 I had spare, then they were cleaned up, powder coated satin black, and laced with new stainless spokes.
The original front rim was stuffed (badly dented etc.), but fortunately it is a common size, and spoke layout. The rear is quite specific to the bike (maybe some transalp rims fit? Im not 100% sure) being 17" x 3.0"/32 spoke, so luckily i could clean this up and work a few minor dents out of it.
I really did not want to buy new rims if I could help it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
OK, Ive been a bit slack! Since my last post I've finished the bike, and taken it on quite a few rides. It passed the registration inspection no problem and has been running great.
It's a cool bike to take for a ride, it really stands out.

This was the day of the first ride to the inspection station for registration.
The seat is the missus' handy work and came out great. The windscreen had to be hand shaped with heat using a sheet of perspex, which was harder than expected to get right. This was the third attempt, the first two cracked while shaping. I was going to use lexan, but the heat required to shape it without it springing back was too much and formed bubbles.

I also made a headlight guard to match the look of the rally bike.

I cleaned up and retained the original silencer for a while.

I later shortened the windscreen, to more closely resemble the rounded shape of the dakar bike, and swapped the OEM silencer for an Akropovic that I had.
It sounds great, the original is too quiet IMO.

This is the finished bike (atleast for now). I'm very happy with the end result, and I've really enjoyed restoring such a classic machine.
It rides,sounds,and looks awesome. What more could I want!

Thanks for looking, and for all the comments (y)

101 - 117 of 117 Posts