Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

A wee running problem I'm having at the moment with an 8 day Europe trip coming up in 10 days! So no pressure for me then!

Put new battery in. No electrics - no Tripmaster display or turn over. Went through every circuit testing for continuity and spraying connections with silicone lube. Electrics came back.

First ride yesterday. Warmed the engine up well before setting off. Got 20 miles then bike started losing power. I thought fuel so turned it on to reserve but it just died.

Had electrics but it wouldn't turn over. There was a clicking from the ignition barrel. Kept trying and a few hours later (recovery took 4 hours!) it would turn over a couple of times then stop and there would be a clicking from under the side panel on RHS (battery neutral side).

At one point I went back to the bike and the attached image was showing on the Tripmaster with no key in the ignition!

After three hours it would turn over and fire up and run. I still got recovered home as I didn't trust it to get home. I rode it up onto the recovery truck and off it.

Thoughts?

With 10 days before the ferry and only evenings to fix this (have stag do next weekend) I need to know if this can be fixed or am I cancelling the trip?

For info it is a 2001 model and I have changed:
Mosfet FH20 reg/rec
Facet fuel pump
New battery

Thanks for any help

John

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Is the battery good (ie have you tested the ability to hold charge)? Is it charging ok when running?
Dis you split all the connections or just spray them?
Check the master 30a fuse and multiplug on the starter relay and earth points

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
As I think Phil suspects - the battery doesn't sound like it's:-

a - holding it's charge or

b - not getting fed enough wigglies from either the Reg/Rec or worse case, the alternator.

Never seen that display on the trip master before!

Hope it something simple and you get it sorted in time for your trip.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right folks

Fuses were all checked and fine

I split every connector and sprayed the electrical contact spray inside both sides

Been working all day at a local show and just gone to the bike and it has 11.56v battery charge and has turned over and fired up so no problem there so it can't be bad contacts or connections.

If it's breaking down under heat/load I'm thinking coils, HT or spark plugs so I'll replace the lot. Once done if it dies again after a test ride it's gonna be car or cancel. Can't risk it dying 2 miles or 200 miles away from the ferry

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just want to say a big thank you for all the help and advice

The bike isn't fixed. Your suggestions and the rain forecast for most evenings made me decide to admit defeat and push the job back until I have more time, and better weather! Can only work outside on the drive you see.

We'll be going in a car instead much to the disgust of my buddy. But at least we will get to see Auschwitz, Colditz, the Church of Bones.

When we get back I can concentrate on fixing the bike by following your advice, without the time pressure and uncertainty of it breaking down again but in Europe.

Big thanks again

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts