Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fitting new chain/ oil change etc yesterday have noticed that I have a very small ,really small weep of coolant from weep hole .It would be only a single drip gathering at the lowest part of the waterpump casing over a 24 hr period ,have placed kitchen roll below area and nothing over night on it .
Bike has 46k on it
Is this to be expected or is water pump seal on way out and if I,m correct this means new water pump, which will mean taking all the new oil I have just put in it back out again
Cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like your water pump may be on the way out.

I had to replace the water pump on a PC800 Pacific Coast just after I had renewed all the fluids. It should be possible to lean the bike to the right a little, and remove the water pump without draining the oil. The RD07A should be pretty similar.

From memory, I think I put a piece of 20mm thick plywood under the left hand centre stand leg.

Just make sure to clean between the back of the water pump and the crankcase to make sure no debris falls into the sump as you remove the pump, and put a drip tray underneath just in case the oil level is not quite low enough.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If its just the mechanical seal that has gone it can be replaced in some of the Honda waterpumps, I know the engine on the very similar Deauville NT650V uses the seal from the ST1100 and the CX500 to repair the waterpump seals which aren't available as repair parts.
I am not sure if the XRV series uses the same pump but its not dissimilar to the NT units.
If anyone has measurements of the seal sizes it might be a worthwhile exercise to see if they are in fact the same as the ST/CX units.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts