Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, could do with some ideas on this...

After a few weeks of ice, I was planning to back on the AT this week. Battery flat (ran flat when not moved for three weeks in December as well). Charge battery and after 24-hours, battery is lively but still charging. 12+ volts showing on the meter. Battery new about six months ago.

Try to start and the bike doesn't turn over but there's a loud-ish grinding noise that seems to be coming from under the nearside side panel. Lights okay etc., but something going on under that side panel that sounds electrical?

I'll bet it's obvious to some of you, but sadly, not to me
:toothy4:

Any help, pointers, will be gratefully received

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Not enough power to spin starter - probably the starter relay clicking in and out - often sounds like a ratatat

·
Administrator
1,767 Posts
Not enough power to spin starter - probably the starter relay clicking in and out - often sounds like a ratatat
I agree... but if you're sure the battery is fully charged, it could be down to a poor connection. Are the battery connections, and those on the heavy lead from battery to starter relay, and relay to starter motor, and heavy earth leads, all sound?.o

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
A battery can be showing 12v but if its been discharged then it can be down on cranking power (Amps) - it is its performance under load that makes the difference. But yes make absolutely all connections are clean and tight.

·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankss Angelo and HotBulb;

I checked the connections on the battery but was wary of stripping the thread on the brass bolts. I put it back on charge before I left this morning so maybe another day will get it up to full power. It does seem to discharge pretty readily and the original battery would survive weeks without a charge but this one seems not to.
I'll check the lead through to the starter solenoid too HotBulb, just in case...
:D
Thanks again!

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
If your battery is discharging quickly it gone - the winter discharge has either warped or sulphated a cell - I lost one on a BMW I have this winter and in my AT a few years ago. Try using an optimate type charger but most likely it's a new battery fir you - sorry

·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your battery is discharging quickly it gone - the winter discharge has either warped or sulphated a cell - I lost one on a BMW I have this winter and in my AT a few years ago. Try using an optimate type charger but most likely it's a new battery fir you - sorry
:( it's new last summer... I'll check the guarantee if it is the battery. In a way, easier if it's that simple :thumbleft:

Thanks Angelo,
Steve

·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the battery was subjected to extreme cold the distilled water within it can freeze which bends battery plates and kills them :(
Hi Phil; nothing lower than about minus four I think and even that probably only relatively briefly.

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
First, Hello Steve!...long haired freaky person.:)

Haven't you got a car and some jump leads.....that'll sort the confusion immediately.

If it works, you need a new battery.

I've got the same thing this year with my Alp..batt last year from David Silver (lead acid and cheap).

Given up after the winter due to my neglect.

Motoblatt gel one from Wemoto on the DR350....still perfect...hardly took any charge when I topped it up.

Gel for me on the bikes now, I think.

Hope the little'uns are OK. :angel2:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Don't use jump leads from a car - it can blow your electrics - too much charge - the surge can wipe out your alternator I believe. I wouldn't do it.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Yes I suspect just using the battery without the car running may be ok - I would take out the bike battery and just connect direct to the cables.

·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First, Hello Steve!...long haired freaky person.:)

Haven't you got a car and some jump leads.....that'll sort the confusion immediately.

If it works, you need a new battery.

I've got the same thing this year with my Alp..batt last year from David Silver (lead acid and cheap).

Given up after the winter due to my neglect.

Motoblatt gel one from Wemoto on the DR350....still perfect...hardly took any charge when I topped it up.

Gel for me on the bikes now, I think.

Hope the little'uns are OK. :angel2:

Hiya Cabby!

I'm good thjanks - still long-haired, still freaky :)

The Beautiful Boys are outstanding thanks - just turned 3! Flippin' hard work
:compress:

From what everyone's saying, battery is really very likely and when I got back last night, it was still charging - 48-hours
:(

Bloody annoying because I only left it for about three weeks without riding it - got too icy up here and they don't grit the roads at all reliably; grrrr
:mad:

Angelo - thanks for your advice - you've been really helpful
:blob3:

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Glad all is good.
I should have mentioned not running the car.
That battery will test as faulty when you take it back.
Maybe they'll let you top it up a few quid and upgrade?

·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys - you've been brill;iant as usual. :notworthy:

Well, it is looking like the battery. And I've been in touch with Busters, where I bought it, and they are starting some kind of returns process. Looking at their site, I don't see the Motobatt there anymore... Unlikely I'll be back on the bike next week
:dontknow: MOT due on Tuesday as well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I have seen the one way clutch on starter gears failing and that can give a mechanical noise, kind of a clacking noise.
Edit
Although after re-reading your description I noticed you said under side panel, not casing, appologies. Probs battery as suspected

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Oi steve there is such a thing as a phone :D:D:D:D:D i could have saved you all the head scratching ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts