Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been doing a bit of research on sprockets that cover more of the splines on the output shaft to try and preserve it and found some info that suggests the XR650r front sprocket will fit which is 13.6mm wide instead of the 10mm width the OEM one offers. I have a super pinion sprocket which covers all the shaft and is the best option but because the bike is in the dirt allot i'm only getting 3 to 4k out of a front sprocket so at £49 a go the super pinion is a bit expensive. Has anyone tried or using the XR650r sprocket

This is the XR650r JT sprocket

And this is the RD08 JT front sprocket i'm presuming that Z-13 is the spline pitch

·
Registered
177 Posts
I only use after market sprockets, but then I'm the only owner from new of my '03 Transalp XL650V, after 180,000km. If the counter shaft isn't yet damaged on yours then it doesn't matter which sprocket you use, just make sure the chain is loose enough that it doesn't put load on the shaft when the suspension is fully compressed.
People will argue about the cause, but chain too tight is the problem.
Mine has a little wear but even if I put another 180,000km of wear on it, it will still be in quite good shape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I only use after market sprockets, but then I'm the only owner from new of my '03 Transalp XL650V, after 180,000km. If the counter shaft isn't yet damaged on yours then it doesn't matter which sprocket you use, just make sure the chain is loose enough that it doesn't put load on the shaft when the suspension is fully compressed.
Mine has a little wear but even if I put another 180,000km of wear on it, it will still be in quite good shape.
that's amazing. You have obviously looked after it. when you fit your new sprocket and retainer how much movement is there. do you use moly grease? whatever you are doing its obviously correct. good to see

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply but that doesn't answer my question. I asked and want to know if anyone tried or is using the XR650r sprocket on their 650 dominator

·
Registered
177 Posts
that's amazing. You have obviously looked after it. when you fit your new sprocket and retainer how much movement is there. do you use moly grease? whatever you are doing its obviously correct. good to see
There is a little movement in it, which is what Honda intended. It allows for a small amount of misalignment between the 2 sprockets.
No I don't use mommy grease, though maybe it would have less splinter wear of I'd thought to use it from the start. A slightly loose chain is the main thing here.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apologies, just offering alternatives.
No apology needed i just want to know if the sprocket fits but looks like i will just have to buy one and try it(y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts