Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When, once upon a time, I bought my Sprint, Triumph provided a set of three lock barrels keyed to the ignition (and also storage compartment) key in order to be installed in the side panniers and top box. This way, all my boxes would open with a single key and I wouldn’t have to search for the right one or have a heavy & scratchy key ring hanging from my ignition switch.

Honda doesn't offer such luxuries, not even as an option (like BMW does for example). So, once I've completed my pannier / top box setup (2 X Givi B36N and 1 X Givi V46 Tech) I found myself with three keys. Not so good for me…

While fooling around I found out that Honda's key can be inserted in the lock barrel of my boxes but, of course, won't unlock them. At least in the beginning…

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Start with removing the locking mechanism from your case.
For my boxes, it's only a matter of unscrewing two small screws inside the case.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then carefully, remove the C-Clip (nr. 2 in the photo) from the locking mechanism in order to release the lock barrel (nr. 1 in the photo).

Be VERY careful to avoid chasing the little ball and the spring (nr. 3 & 4 in the photo) around the room.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
you can buy a three lock set for the givis, and honda do them as standard.
personally i wouldnt want anyone who found one key to be able to ride off on the bike too.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you can see in the blur below, the barrel has 7 wafers that retract when the correct key is inserted, allowing the barrel to turn inside the lock cylinder and (un)lock the case.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VERY VERY carefully, using a pair of tweezers, remove all wafers (nr. 1 in the photo) from the barrel. Be gentle so that you don't lose the micro springs (nr. 2 in the photo). Now the barrel is ready to be re-keyed (nr. 3 in the photo).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starting from the outer side (marked with the arrow) we start solving the re-keying puzzle. Try each wafer until you find the correct one. Check that the barrel turns freely in the cylinder. Once verified, continue with the next slot and so on…

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once the puzzle is solved your barrel is re-keyed. There's a chance that a wafer might not fit. You may exclude up to two wafers without a problem (I say that because Givi barrels have 7 wafers while Kappa ones have only 5).
Alternative you can grind the "stubborn" wafer or try wafers from inexpensive drawer locks that are similar.
Take your time and always test the barrel in the cylinder after each wafer is matched.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I know, but I'd rather spare 25 Euros for gas and a long ride :) ...
fair enough mate, you got your priorities right!:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Fantastic! I bet re-assembling the locks requires some patience, but I would not even have thought to do that myself. And as you say, if you end up with some odd wafers, either discard them or file them down. :thumbright:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
my varadero ignition key is completely different to the honda luggage key, and will not fit in the locks.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
my varadero ignition key is completely different to the honda luggage key, and will not fit in the locks.
Same as my Varadero. I'm sure I considered doing this when I first got the bike but couldn't get the key to fit.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It would depend on if you could get the barrel to fit, I think it is a different size space.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2 X Givi B36N and 1 X Givi V46 Tech
Anychance of a photo of the Givi V46 Tech?
Been looking at it for a while but can't find any photos other than the Givi promo shots.
What colour do the reflectors, erm, reflect? Is it just white or is there red under there?

Cheers!
Gavin

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Anychance of a photo of the Givi V46 Tech?
Been looking at it for a while but can't find any photos other than the Givi promo shots.
What colour do the reflectors, erm, reflect? Is it just white or is there red under there?

Cheers!
Gavin
The reflectors are clear over black.
They don't reflect much, but I added some black 3M 680 Scotchlite behind them and that's how it looks:

Lights "off":

Lights "on":

1 - 20 of 24 Posts