Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading Travellers Thread on his 'uprated' seat, decided I didn't want the hassle of using 2 Airhawks on longer trips, so sent mine off to the same folk to be re-done; on their advice, resisted the gel path & went for softer density foam, keeping the original shape as much as possible.
Before

After

Though the seat looks kinda MX-r, it feels much the same as the original, but more sumptous. Only been out for 20 miles today but 1st impressions are good, as is the quality of the work.
Now to get that 1st 200 mile spin to see how it is after the dreaded 80 mile mark...
More photos in my album

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Due to the previous interest shown on this addition :)D), thought I'd update following the Piel Island trek.
This seat is FANTASTIC. I didn't think about it once during any riding all weekend - ok, the longest single stint was only around 110 miles, but didn't once start to fidget or suffer. Brought an Airhawk 'just-in-case', the only use it saw was as a pillow substitute on Saturday night. Soon to be seen in the 'For Sale' section I think.
10/10 for MotorcycleSeatworks who advised against gel pads, seems to work for me.

If only I could say the same for the new helmet.... Must be sponsored by paracetamol..

·
Timid biker
187 Posts
Sounds good, Rob. I found I couldn't sit still after about 120 miles, and found out much later how much more plush even a stock Varadero seat was compared with the AT's brick. Is it memory foam inside, like Ikea's best mattresses, or soft and springy latex foam?

It looks like they put a completely new cover on it, too. I was always amazed at the sheer absorbency of the original.

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rebecca, thanks for the reply - just standard foam in the seat I believe, softer & more-of-it than the original. The new cover material is more 'rubbery' than the original, & does scuff easier (keep forgetting to raise my leg just an inch or 2 higher to clear it)
Will PM you imminently..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi mate.

Interested in this as I find my seat a killer on long journeys. Can I ask is it any wider than standard ?. I've always thought the standard seat needed a bit more width to be a bit more supportive.

Oh, and what are we looking at price wise...more importantly !!?.

Thanks

Paul

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Paul,
I wouldn't say it was appreciably wider, maybe by a few mm only. The main difference is in the increased volume of foam, though it's possible that also gives more support over the width. It has effectively raised the seat height by around 40mm, which isn't a problem for me.
Cost of the work was an even £100, + £20 P+P, and judging by last weekends trip, it's the best money I've spent on the bike so far.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
469 Posts
Brought an Airhawk 'just-in-case', the only use it saw was as a pillow substitute on Saturday night. Soon to be seen in the 'For Sale' section I think.
Is the Airhawk effective? Thinking about getting one for the wife who's doing TLD on a Hornet 600 whose seat is comfy up to a point but probably not up to TLD mileage.
Any info gratefully received, thanks.
Mark

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sheep skins are the cheapest and most effective range stretcher i've ever used.

Cost about £10-£15. The look isnt for everyone though lol.

As for softer foam. I always thought that soft foam had its own problems as it offers no support.

I thought a wider, shaped seat but with firm foam is the best ?????

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Is the Airhawk effective? Thinking about getting one for the wife who's doing TLD on a Hornet 600 whose seat is comfy up to a point but probably not up to TLD mileage.
Any info gratefully received, thanks.
Mark
I have one and have done the past two TLDs. The first 2008 TLD was the longest single stint in the saddle. I had no complaints what so ever and could have carried on riding if we hadn't got to the end and the weather wasn't so crappy

In Feb I did the Welsh Invasion weekend and I was 2 up. Trip was 200 miles from home to Pembroke Dock and I did this in four hours accross country without stopping. I had no problems, aches or cramps

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
had no complaints what so ever
Regarding the Airhawk, Paul-S has it absolutely right, you soon stop noticing it's there & the next thing you know you've done 180+ miles without an ache or pain.
I only had my seat done as two airhawks + topbox didn't work, & so I didn't have to keep taking it off every stop that I'd be away from the bike. Having said that, the seat work didn't cost that much more, & so far has proved to be as effective.

thought that soft foam had its own problems as it offers no support
The new seat does 'give' more when I first park myself onto it, but there's a lot more of it. It's definitely softer foam but not by very much. Whatever, it's a 100% improvement on the original! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts