Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ready to give up biking at the Mo

Got my dream bike.Love the look of it, the way it rides just absolutly everything.Makes me smile every time i walk up to it.

only to find out its not fit for purpose:(

not sure what to do now

I know there is the Vara.I said and i still mean it,the Vara is one of the best touring bikes out there.Value for money:thumbup:
I loved my Vara but not in the same way as my GSA
I know the 1150GSA is a brilliant bike and it will be close in performance to my 12.It will be easier and cheaper to fix the final drive(and it will go:()then my 12

but
its just not the same.It took my 25 years to get to the point where i could afford my dream bike only to find out its only for people which ride solo with no luggage

might as well buy a campervan:rolleyes:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Pete you dont want to buy a camper van because imagine your the Blue van in the left lane :rolleyes:

or will you be in this one?

and think if you give up biking where else would you get this type of abuse :D:D

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Bloody hell LV.

Buck up my boy -- temporary setback - don't let it get to you :confused:

Or am I missing something here ???:confused:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Got my dream bike.Love the look of it, the way it rides just absolutly everything.Makes me smile every time i walk up to it.

not sure what to do now

I know there is the Vara.I said and i still mean it,the Vara is one of the best touring bikes out there.Value for money:thumbup:
I loved my Vara but not in the same way as my GSA
I know the 1150GSA is a brilliant bike and it will be close in performance to my 12.It will be easier and cheaper to fix the final drive(and it will go:()then my 12

but
its just not the same.It took my 25 years to get to the point where i could afford my dream bike only to find out its only for people which ride solo with no luggage

might as well buy a campervan:rolleyes:
So you didn't start saving, till you were thirty ? ...You pleb :D

( I can't be serious about this Final drive problem Pete. It's making my f******g blood boil....It's just not right :cussing: ... If all these emerging facts are true,it's a discrace .)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That sucks.

I sympathise. In 1999 I had just got my first job and decided I could also afford my dream bike: a TL1000s. No failures, but I had to sell it a year later: too expensive to own. Obviously, I could not afford it.

I can imagine you feel a lot of disappointment and frustration. On the bright side, you've found a bike that ticks all the boxes, it just so happens that the example you have seems to cause problems.

Could you sell it and buy another? On this site alone plenty of people have a GSA 12, and not had problems. Would this be possible?

On the other hand camper vans do have a certain "je ne sais quoi"....and they have a boxer engine!!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Pete

I know you've had shedloads of hassle with that particular bike, but overall I'm guessing the 1200GSA is a good bike.

Have you considered trading it in for, errrrr, well, the same bike?

Could you perhaps go to a BMW dealership and trade it against another used 1200GSA claiming you always wanted a red/black/pink one, but secretly you just offload the problem back onto BMW???

Hopefully, your bike isn't like a rash on the BMW computer system, or sets it into meltdown when it calls up your service history, but couldn't you just trade the bike and use the difference that a new final drive repair would cost, to make up the difference for another (same) bike??

Don't give up mate, I know you've had a load of crap, but if you give up biking and disappear we won't have anyone to take the pi$$ out of!!!!

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Re: Ready to give up biking at the Mo

This is about the max payload thing isn't it? Well if so you can rest easy the figures quoted in the other thread are wrong. In fact the GSA is pretty much best in calss with a payload capacity of 35.5 stone or 219Kg. Unless you both have lead boots and fill the panniers with looted gold I thing you are perfecty safe.

see http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bmw/44975-vaders-final-drive-woes-3.html#post454664 and I since verified the numbers with the BMW website :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Ready to give up biking at the Mo

This is about the max payload thing isn't it? Well if so you can rest easy the figures quoted in the other thread are wrong. In fact the GSA is pretty much best in calss with a payload capacity of 35.5 stone or 219Kg. Unless you both have lead boots and fill the panniers with looted gold I thing you are perfecty safe.

see http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bmw/44975-vaders-final-drive-woes-3.html#post454664 and I since verified the numbers with the BMW website :thumbup:
and i just replied to that:(

·
2,701 Posts
Pull yourself together Pete. :banghead:

Is this the master race spirit that conquered the world. :hitler:

Errrr . . . oh no . . . . . they give up too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously though, . . . . dont let it get you down. . . . . Whats a couple of bearings now and again if you love the bike. :cool: :D

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Come on man pull yourself together, Change the bike and keep riding :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
OR

How about keeping the bike, and buying a secondhand, spare final drive.

Learn how to rebuild your spare final drive yourself (i.e drop it off to Chad) and change it everytime you do an oil change or it fails. Then rebuild that one.

If it's the same bearing all the time, stock up on them, learn how to do it, and how about rebuilding the drives for other people and becoming rich doing it!!??!! (yeah I know, you don't even own a screwdriver do you?!!)

God, what was I thinking suggesting such a thing to a mechanical incompetent!?!?!?!?!?!?! :rolleyes::mrgreen::sign6::sad1::laughing7::sign5:

:mrgreen::thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Get the Vara and ask Hagon to make you a rear shock that can cope with 50KG. They will do it.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Hi Pete, sorry to hear you're pretty much down at the moment. There are alternatives out there, that and a rethink of the equipment. On the Long way down they had to have the major rethink after the frame snap incident, you will just have to come up with something else mate.
I know the Vara was "just another Honda" but I admit that's how I saw my 51 plate one, not so with the VA9, I love the bike! The beauty of the Vara is a set of rear wheel bearings and a chain and sprocket set only costs around £150, and easy enough job to get someone to do (Chad perhaps?). Also Wheallie's idea of beefing up the shock is good, I'd see if the standard one can cope first, mine does!
Never mind mate, it will come out in the wash :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think you should try trading in the one you have and get a newer model.
Then if the final drives fail on that one you know YOU are doing something wrong. You may just have the Monday morning bike.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
What ever you do Herre Pete DO NOT give up riding....anyone wjho knows you also knows how much you love riding!

I had to give it up for a few years due to mortgage reasons...it was so painful..never again!:hitler:

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Come on get a grip, it's no wonder you lost with an attitude like that.:D

You know the bike will do two up touring and just as well as a Honda. If it's not fit for that why am I going to Germany two up? Just have a look at what you carry if you think it's the weight, you could get rid of some weight by changing those bloody sleeping bags. :D

Don't forget one of us gas had a final drive go on an 1150 as well.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts