Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
maybe, but it looks like a 600 engine, but with 650 brakes added.

The bike shows 25k miles and the engine is absolutely sound no smoke rattles or bangs.

although the word "shows" could be cause for concern?!

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Oops I stand corrected, I've had plenty of Alps so aware of the differences, looking at the ebay pic it looks an unfinned barrel, your pic link above is clearer and the finning becomes apparent :)
It would be interesting to see the mc bracket for the rear brake. It has all the looks of a later 600 Alp but on an F plate.
Doesn't sound right to me

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mm.. if the engine really has done only 25,000 miles it would make a good touring bike

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
On older bikes, I take the displayed mileage with a pinch of salt unless it has comprehensive & convincing documentation to back it up, go from condition.
I've just had a look on the computer....1500 for a mish mash bitsa - most stuff looks later 600 but on an F reg.....
Taped up indicator, crooked back light, nah

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if the miles are genuine and it runs ok, then i think it's worth a punt for £1,500

remember there are very few nice/mint/low miles 600 alps out there, esp the 1988-1990 models

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess you're getting crash bars, metal belly pan, top box, 2 panniers, pannier rack, MRA screen, metal chain guard, and new wheels as well so it might be a good buy if the engine is sound.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
not a bad looking bike at all and nice bit of kit on it he spent the few pound on her when he had it . it was worth phone call to suss it out anyway . the sales spiel shows 25k is isn't doing him self any favours but it could be worse he could have started with hear we have and there you go . :D the add is gone now so looks like some else liked it and snapped her up .

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it only went on ebay today. someone must have bought it without seeing it

it shows how much in demand 600 TAs are becoming.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
it only went on ebay today. someone must have bought it without seeing it

it shows how much in demand 600 TAs are becoming.

I think a lot of the motorcycling community are coping on to them how versatile and durable they are with the latest trend being adventure bikes and street scramblers they are probably in vogue now more than they ever were since the first one was rolled of the line in 1987 .

with Africa twin prices trough the roof there is even more demand for Transalps and people are probably more inclined to hang on to their transalp . isn't it true that the second hand bike market is becoming under stocked in England as a lot of bikes are being bought up and shipped to Poland and where ever else .

Germany had the same situation as well but its been harder to find nice second hand bikes there for the last few years so buyers buy from England now . my own Transalp is a German import and I have owned a few bikes that were imported from the UK and the US .

I even imported 2 bikes myself from the UK and I have seen quite a few Japanese and Italian imports and most recently Massive Lee came all the way from Canada to France for an Africa twin . maybe all this has something to do with it that and the odd bike disappearing of the road to be broken for parts . so grab a nice one while you still can

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one of the main reasons i keep my 1989 Alp is there is just nothing as good on the market.

theres the 650 alp - it's ok, i guess. styling not great, no fuel injection.

the 700 alp is just too big for city commuting, and it's as ugly as hell

kawasaki have re-releaed the KLR650, and it looks nice. but it's carburetted and hence, not for sale in europe.

uryefpk2.cwk.jpg

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
While the 600s are great bikes the 650 is just that bit better in most aspects, looks aside of course.

By the sounds of it I should have kept this one another few years to realise it's true value ;) (crappy snap of the computer screen) but truth be told, I much preferred my 650 to ride.

Phil

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mmmm. i never really got on with the 650 alp. i found it a bit heavy and cumbersome in traffic, although it is a better distance bike than the 600.

·
Registered
406 Posts
the 700 alp is just too big for city commuting, and it's as ugly as hell
Too big? How do you figure? It's basically a 650 with a smaller tank, lower seat and smaller fairing! The ugly bit, well, that's subjective but the size is measurable and I don't see that it's bigger than a 650 in any direction other than inside the engine.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mmm..i dunno, it just felt too big, and the suspension was rock hard, was a nightmare riding around london, it felt every little bump/speedhump.

the pegs were too high also so it felt cramped.

it seemed like a good distance touring bike (apart from the high pegs) but I felt it had moved too far away from the 600 alp and was more of a road-oriented bike, especially with the smaller front wheel.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Interesting you should say that because my experiences (size comparisons aside) with the 700 I bought a couple of months ago match yours - it is much firmer than a 650 (can't remember the 600 I spent a week with 13 years ago well enough to make a comparison!), it does bounce all over the place on bumpy London roads and even for someone as vertically challenged as me (5'7", 30" inside leg) the pegs put my knees under more pressure than I'd like.

Conversely, the handling is more road-oriented and 'sporty' with the firmer suspension and 19" front, but I've not formed an attachment to it in the way I did with my 650s. In fact, I got so fed up with riding it to work in the centre of London that I'm using the train at the moment - the bike is sitting unused in the garage.

I came so close to buying another 650 rather than the 700 - wish I had :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts