Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please! I've set myself the task of replacing my rear brake pads but I've fallen at the first hurdle.

I can't for the life of me see how to get the pad retaining pin out. I can't see any threads / hex heads like on my other bikes. I can just about see a tiny hole where I guess an r-clip would go (not one in there). Does the pin just drift out, or am I missing something?

Late model RD08 with Brembo caliper.

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Fitz,
Manual says:
1) Remove the clip
2) Remove the pin using punch
Photo shows mechanic tapping pin through from the right side of the bike.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Fitz,
Manual says:
1) Remove the clip
2) Remove the pin using punch
Photo shows mechanic tapping pin through from the right side of the bike.
Nice one, thanks Philippo. I had tried hitting it, I'll try hitting it harder. Supplemental questions:

1, any idea how the caliper assembly is supposed to separate from the sliding carrier? I inadvertently pulled off one of the rubber boots, it seems to me the only way to get it back on is to separate caliper from carrier, put the boot back on the caliper, then reassemble caliper and carrier so that the sliding pin on the carrier slips into the boot on the caliper.

2, this manual, where can I get a copy? The only workshop manual I have is for the earlier 88-92 model which for starters has a drum rear brake and in any event the photos are terrible, having been copied so many times...

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supplemental question 1 answered, it should just pull apart, two sliding pins behind rubber boots. Got them apart in the end. And back together again!

No joy yet getting the pad retaining pin out. Giving up for today. There's enough meat on the pads for now, I'll try spraying with plus gas or similar, see if that helps the pin out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it might be prudent to get a new pin as the old one will be in a sorry state if it ever comes out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You need a decent hammer and a good pin parallel punch the same diameter as the small hole on the inside, a little lube of some sort like ATF helps and try and support the part of the caliper that the pin rests in on something solid like a lump of wood with a hole drilled in it to receive the pin.
Deep breath and a few taps to get the muscle memory and then have at it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have bought a set of pin punches, and also replacement pins & r-clips as I expect the old ones to be binworthy by the time I’m done hitting them.

I’ll also employ a few squirts of Plus Gas before deploying the hammer.

I’m hoping to do it with the caliper in situ but, as I was planning a fluid swap as well, no biggie if I have to drain it down and detach the caliper for extra hammer-swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
Automatic transmission fluid . Good for damper rod forks and general lubrication. Scotoiler fluid is just colored atf imo. Has a good detergent action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mini update, the pad retaining pin came out easy peasy with a decent punch and a hammer.

It seems the easiest way to get a good old clean of the piston before new pads go in, is to remove the caliper which in turn requires the rear wheel out. A job for tomorrow when there's more light and less rain, especially as I always find it a faff setting the chain tension after reinstalling the wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts