Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having changed my wheels on a RD07 for gold RD04 wheels and put the spacers etc in I now find I have over 30mm travel on brake lever and very little braking anyone have any idea whats wrong. I have tried to bleed them a bit so dont think its that. There seems to be to much movement on the caliper before the pads actually brake.

Thx

I need to give more info. My @ had road wheels on of a fireblade and spacers to fit and I wanted it back to standard and the wheels I got were off a RD04.
The brakes worked fine till I changed the wheel but I did notice that the rear wheel axle shaft nut went on to far approx 5mm of thread showing and the caliper support seemed to have too much movement
Today I decided to have another look and bled the brakes and used half a bottle of fluid. Things didnt improve. I then unscrewed the lock nut on the axle shaft so there was about 1mm of thread at the end. Brakes back to working right movement on pedal about 20mm
I figured I would put a washer between the brake alloy bracket and the swingarm I hope someone can tell me why I need this spacer washer in? Are there different spacers for different years?

Sorry for long post but you need all the info to help me

Please look at my gallery to see the old wheels and I will post a pic of my @ now asap

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
It should'nt be anything more than bleeding the brake, it can take a while to get all of the air out, it took 30 Mins of solid pumping once to get my front brakes working!

I would try having another go at bleeding them.

:thumbup:

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
have you put in new pads? - this might be worth doing aswell as DRLANERS suggestions about bleeding..

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It should'nt be anything more than bleeding the brake, it can take a while to get all of the air out, it took 30 Mins of solid pumping once to get my front brakes working!

I would try having another go at bleeding them.

:thumbup:

I will continue to bleed them but as the pedal is at the bottom is feels solid its as though there is to much movement on the caliper before the pads bite.

·
Registered
461 Posts
it took well over an hour to bleed my back brake recently.

the front took even longer,

you can try back bleeding them if you have the right kit, if not then its just a case of keeping going till your missus gets sick of standing on the lever :D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to give more info. My @ had road wheels on of a fireblade and spacers to fit and I wanted it back to standard and the wheels I got were off a RD04.
The brakes worked fine till I changed the wheel but I did notice that the rear wheel axle shaft nut went on to far approx 5mm of thread showing and the caliper support seemed to have too much movement
Today I decided to have another look and bled the brakes and used half a bottle of fluid. Things didnt improve. I then unscrewed the lock nut on the axle shaft so there was about 1mm of thread at the end. Brakes back to working right movement on pedal about 20mm
I figured I would put a washer between the brake alloy bracket and the swingarm I hope someone can tell me why I need this spacer washer in? Are there different spacers for different years?

Sorry for long post but you need all the info to help me

Please look at my gallery to see the old wheels and I will post a pic of my @ now asap

·
2,701 Posts
Has the caliper bracket been modified to fit the fireblade wheel's / disc position.???

I will measure the thickness on mine tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Using a long screwdriver to measure - whats the width of the wheel hub with both spacers in place (as in wheel removed, complete just before placing in swinger) will check mine when u tell us. Got that caliper bracket bolt out yet?

·
2,701 Posts
Has the caliper bracket been modified to fit the fireblade wheel's / disc position.???

I will measure the thickness on mine tomorrow and report back.
OK, best measurement without removing wheel and caliper mount = 29mm. . . . its the same on both RD04 and RD07a.

P.S.
If you want to compare you can nip down and check mine out, its not far.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using a long screwdriver to measure - whats the width of the wheel hub with both spacers in place (as in wheel removed, complete just before placing in swinger) will check mine when u tell us. Got that caliper bracket bolt out yet?

Hi
measure s approx 200mm maybe 202mm hard to say without taking wheel off been busy all morning trying to sort leaking tank with liitle luck
and the distance from wheelrim to swingarm is 50mm on disk side. Brakes are working fine now I am really pleased but I didnt try that bolt you mentioned as I think it will wreck the head taking it out. If you have one I will give it a go.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, best measurement without removing wheel and caliper mount = 29mm. . . . its the same on both RD04 and RD07a.

P.S.
Mine is the same 29mm. So problem not there, what I need to know is are the spacing collars the same on both models? The only other thing I can think of is there are two bolts holding the calipers the back one lets you change pads and the rear on mine looks seized as someone as had a go at getting it out and even though it will pivot freely is there supposed to be play sideways?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

P.S.

Thanks for offer may take you up on that

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
hi EEN, read somewhere that 52mm is the distance between the rim & swinger (disc side), if your rear is 17 x 2.75 instead of the standard 17 x 3.00 then I imagine it should be a touch greater than 52mm, but don't quote me on that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts