Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange problem. I was driving the bike in the City, stopped for 10 minutes and after then when I started the engine I realized only on cylinder is working. Took off the rear cylinder's spark cap, there was spark beetwen the engine and the cap, so it must be some kind of fuel problem (the front cyl was working fine). Drove home, after 5 miles I stopped, waiting 5 mins, start the engine and the rear cylinder was working properly again! The weather was OK, around 12-13 C, so I think it is not the carburettor icing.
Any idea what is this problem?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
you do know about the cdi problem they have on account of the seat pan pressing down on the plugs on the cdi's some times they can work intermittently . I had this problem myself . it might be worth your while swaping them around and if it happens agin the rev counter stops working too its the cdi .sorry I cant be any more help help I aint no mechanic . I cured mine by putting a piece of steel plate on the frame tied on with metal wire to keep it in place and I had to change both cdi units .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks. Mine CDI units sockets facing backway, not like the problematic upway facing ones, but I will try it anyway.
My revcounter never ever worked, so IM not gonna see any differences :)

you do know about the cdi problem they have on account of the seat pan pressing down on the plugs on the cdi's some times they can work intermittently . I had this problem myself . it might be worth your while swaping them around and if it happens agin the rev counter stops working too its the cdi .sorry I cant be any more help help I aint no mechanic . I cured mine by putting a piece of steel plate on the frame tied on with metal wire to keep it in place and I had to change both cdi units .

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
OK, thanks. Mine CDI units sockets facing backway, not like the problematic upway facing ones, but I will try it anyway.
My revcounter never ever worked, so IM not gonna see any differences :)

if you change them around and the front cylinder goes dead instead then maybe that's the problem ? good luck with it hopefully its not to difficult or expensif to fix .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does your rev counter stop working at the same time ?
My 600 has issues with the rear cylinder cutting out on occasion, but on mine the cdi for the rear cylinder also runs the rev counter so when it happens the rev needle drops to zero.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your rev counter stop working at the same time ?
My 600 has issues with the rear cylinder cutting out on occasion, but on mine the cdi for the rear cylinder also runs the rev counter so when it happens the rev needle drops to zero.
No, not working, never ever did, since I bought the bike. But this problem is new.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like others I fitted a alloy bar across the frame rails to support the seat base, as this is one of the problems on the early Transalps the seat base weakens over the years and flexes so it then puts pressure on the CDI connections. I also cable tied the loom more securely to the frame.
My Tranny will run for months without any issues then suddenly the rear cylinder will drop out, only to come on seconds later. A wiggle of the CDI box usually sorts it out :p

But if your getting a constant spark it could be fuel related.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys you were right I was wrong. Swapped the CDI unts, so now the rear one is working and the front one is not. So it looks like I have to buy a new CDI unit. What should I check before buy a second hand one, they are expensive, I dont want to end up with a wrong module. Looking for your advice and thanks for the quick diagnosys!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hear you go I don't know how fast the turn around is if post to Portugal is fast or expensive . how long it will take the dude to do it . sure bang off an e mail to him . www.TransAlp.org • View topic - CDI Repair
Thanks for the link! Meanwhile I have already ordered two new (the advert states they are new, but I think they are aftermarket or already repaired parts) from Germany, it cost "only" 120GBP for the two. I dont want to wait too much, some bastard stole my car, so I need the bike back to the road ASAP.
Will let you know when I got the parts!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
first of all im really sorry to hear you car got taken . that sounds like a good price . after market cdi's can be hit and miss I was reading on adventure bike forum . about ricks electric cdi's some say only 15000 miles they last . maybe there is something up with their bike maybe the never put a brace under the seat pan . you really have to do that dude or your screwed . . your sorted anyway thats the main thing . I was lucky I got 2 second hand cdi's for 80 euro . I carry one in the top box with in a cardboard box for safe keeping in a tank bag and a 1/4 inch drive 10 mm socket extention bar and ratchet in case one goes far from home as happened the last time 40 miles from home 300cc singles suck donkey balls :D I had a pain in me hole by the time I got home .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts