Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
its just a ride!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear disc is worn and liooking to replace for impending MOT.

EBC do one at £42 but if the reputation is anything like the pads I might overlook it, and our friend hollismx have a convincing blurb about the quality of their materials and designs for a mere £30 Im severely tempted... except Im not into gay bling wavy disks!
That aside I can try and get a second hand one but obviously prefer to get a new one if poss.

Anyone got any feedback on EBC / Hollis ?
know why I shouldnt do this instead of going all out and paying £100 for Honda original replacement??
Any advice appreciated ta

:color:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I had EBC front and rear discs in my time. The fronts were rubbish, the rear was very good. Different materials used for each by the look of them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Someone changed all the discs on mine before I bought it (at 19k miles, not sure why?!)
I've forgot make but back is rusty and the bike is washed and polished nearly every ride, not rusty on the outer I know that's normal but the inner is rusting through the silver paint.
Looks tatty!
Il check make later, one to avoid!

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I seem to remember there was a guy from ebc posting here about rusty discs and him mentioning that there were 2 types of disc. One for off road use or that had better stopping power but would tend to rust, and another for road use that didn't (or something along those lines - I forget exactly). If you do a search for 'rusty ebc' here you might find it.

I went for an original honda disk when I needed to replace mine eventually. I figured the extra £50 would probably be worth it for peace of mind, as I'd only end up getting one of them anyway if an alternative didn't work out (so end up costing more in the end).

edit>> Heres the thread I was thinking of: http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/32864-ebc-brake-disks.html

·
its just a ride!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some valuable info there – thanks Zen

These are the off-road wavy disks I was checking out earlier...www.hollismx.com
It says they are developed for off-road racing so will contact them to see if they will condone these for road-use

·
its just a ride!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nick from allbike engineering has offered a wee discount on the rear disc at £60+ £10 p&p to XRV.ORG members.
EBC still look a favourable price and from what I can tell rears are not as problematic as the front disc/pad combinations
– didnt hear back from Hollismx, tho at £30 if they had one to fit and I just wanted to get it through the MOT im sure would be fine!

Allbikeengineeringcouk disc ordered – Case closed. Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts