Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks from me too!

I just bought a pair of Givi soft pannier frames from RegH (as a by-product of an earlier thread), and luckily I spied your fitting instructions just before the package arrived.

The fitting instructions stopped me from trying to fit the frames back to front, as I would have expected the profile of the racks to be gently swept backwards, rather than forwards. On that basis, I suppose I would have tried to fit the LH frame on the RH of the bike, and vice versa.

Once they were offered up (correctly) it all made sense, and once the bolts were in place it became surprisingly sturdy. I used the 4x existing luggage rack bolts (although the front pair could do to be slightly longer), and I had already fitted smaller indicators to what I presume is the standard bracket slung under the back edge of the luggage rack.

All in all, not a bad job - so, thanks to you all for your help!

Joe

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad my post helped out .

To answer your question joe.
The relocated mini indicators I have are located under the rear rack, but I used the 2 little brackets that came with the frame kit . Part no4 in the pdf I posted.
They are just right angled metal plate , so if you do not have them you could easily DIY something .

But if you have small indicators fitted in the original holes then it should clear the panniers,. As long as you can see them from the rear when your bags are fitted then your OK I guess .

:thumbright:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi 'Large'

My indicator bracket may or may not be standard - my microfiche doesn't show it, but its an ex-Police bike which had hard luggage (removed before I got the bike), so maybe it was modified. The bracket runs the full width of the luggage rack just forward of its rear edge, and has neat right-angled ends for the indicators - the originals were HUGE so I went for a pair of small (but bright) Motrax ones - although if I ever fit hard luggage I'll consider putting the standard indies back on.

Thanks again for your help - this forum helped me decide on the 'Alp in the first place, and has sorted out a number of niggles for me too.

Joe

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Joe

Had a look at your picture of your alp in your profile , and it looks like your rear indicators are fitted in a non standard place, probably because of being a ex police bike.
The original fitment is like the picture here.

First day with my TA

You will notice that yours has a blanking plug / grommet over the hole.

There is nothing wrong with the set up you have , and will easily be out of the way with your luggage fitted.

cheers LWR

·
Registered
251 Posts
LWR

Can't see your pic (I'm at work, which means I have a relatively 'basic' browsing experience...) but I've looked at the pic of my bike again and I see the blanking plug where the mudguard meets the tailpiece.

It all makes sense now: yes, I have a non-standard bracket, which made the standard indies stick out more (and would have looked OK with full luggage), now cured with a smaller pair.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts