Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought my rear light bulb had blown.

This morning I gave the bike a wash and polish and went through my weekly checks: indicators, lights, horn, tyre pressures etc. No rear light! but brake light ok. Started engine, gave it a rev and then I had a rear light again. Happened several times: No rear light but all the others ok, start engine, blip the throttle : rear light comes on ?? :confused:

Any ideas or similar problems out there/?

Tom

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
As Lutin says, I would go for a dodgy bulb and replace.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd go with check the connections under your seat... had a simular problem on mine, and when checking the wiring with a meter got to the connections under the seat and found them to be a bit green and fussy.. Basically, by this happening not all the connection is made, but when you give it some revs, it vibrates slightly and makes contact....

I took a bit of sandpaper to the contacts and cleaned them up, before then going at them with a set of pliers... crimping them tight to each other... Problem solved, at least mine was anyway...

Worth a try...:thumbleft:

Titch

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I'd go with check the connections under your seat... had a simular problem on mine, and when checking the wiring with a meter got to the connections under the seat and found them to be a bit green and fussy.. Basically, by this happening not all the connection is made, but when you give it some revs, it vibrates slightly and makes contact....

I took a bit of sandpaper to the contacts and cleaned them up, before then going at them with a set of pliers... crimping them tight to each other... Problem solved, at least mine was anyway...

Worth a try...:thumbleft:

Titch
The 650 Transalp has a plug that fits the bulb holder and makes contact with three little pins, these could be at fault but only if they have been removed and replaced.
I would still try a new bulb first, if it is not the bulb you will have a spare for the time it does blow.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I have had recurring problems with the stop / tail bulb on my TA. The bulb is slightly poor fit in it's holder and unless I get it just right any bumps or jars or even just vibes on the bike can cause to go out. My "cure" is to spread the wires on the bulb slightly to ensure electrical connection and to squeeze the connectors in the bulb holder to grip the bulb better too. Once it's right it will be ok until it's disturbed then it will take 5 or 6 "cures" at the roadside befores it's right again. I think this is the only reliability problem I have on my TA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts