Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have had my 99' TA 600 for a while now, and I want to make my bike a little less soft, and also try to lift the rear a bit.
Is this possible just by modifying the original parts? Has anyone done this before?

In the front I added a few mm. of fork-oil, and changed the viscosity. That helped a lot. But the rear is way to soft. The shock is in perfect condition, no leaks or anything.

Any good tips?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
when you say "too soft", do you mean there is too much travel in the rear suspension?, or do you mean it "bounces" up and down too much?

you could try adjusting the preload on the rear shock absorber but screwing the big ring down/clockwise (ie to compress the spring more), this will lower the rear a bit and also make it feel more "firm" and less "bouncy"

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think you mean increasing the preload (compressing the Spring more) will raise the back end so it doesn't sag as much when you sit on it. But it won't perform any differently or feel any different because you haven't changed the rate of the Spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have adjusted the preload, but it still feels too soft.
Is is possible to take the spring off, and maybe shim it up a bit?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
you can certainly remove the rear shock, however, it has probably been on there 19 years, so might be hard to get off

the transalp 600 was designed as a "dual purpose" bike with relatively soft suspension. it sounds like you want to make it into a more "road oriented" bike, so i am not sure how easy this will be

this might help?

https://www.dirtymotorcycleadventur...ing_wp_cron=1539767500.7189431190490722656250

i know when i rode the transalp 700 this seemed to have much firmer suspension and it felt like a "road" bike

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have adjusted the preload, but it still feels too soft.
Is is possible to take the spring off, and maybe shim it up a bit?
Have you adjusted the preload or the damping? Not certain, but I think the '99 600 is the same frame and suspension as my '03 650. If so you'll have to remove the battery and battery box to get at the preload adjustment. If you are taller than me (170cm) you should cope with inverting the prolink at the base of the rear shock. This adds 50mm of ride height. You'll find spring preload devices for all Transalps on fleabay, mine cost about au$30 and are working fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you adjusted the preload or the damping? Not certain, but I think the '99 600 is the same frame and suspension as my '03 650. If so you'll have to remove the battery and battery box to get at the preload adjustment. If you are taller than me (170cm) you should cope with inverting the prolink at the base of the rear shock. This adds 50mm of ride height. You'll find spring preload devices for all Transalps on fleabay, mine cost about au$30 and are working fine.
Some pics 1- high setting, 2- original setting, 3- rider seat high, 4 rider seat original (no pics of front preload adjusters):

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
The 600 suspension is a different design to the 650's

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Do you have a picture of the shock? I wonder if someone has previously fitted a lowering kit or wound the preload off?

You probably need to take some suspensiin sag figures and go from there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 600 suspension is a different design to the 650's

Oops. Was it the rear brake on the later 600s that was same as / similar to, the 650? I just looked in the workshop manual and there are those dog bone links that can be changed to adjust rear ride height on 600s. If rear spring preload doesn't help then the spring probably needs replacing and should be a serviceable unit. That or an aftermarket replacement will do the job.
Front fork spring preload gadgets are available on fleabay for all transalps including '99 model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts