Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the SDO2 model (2008 with ABS.

My service manual is for an SDO2 but is from 2003. It does not cover the ABS model.

Removal of the rear shock is straight forward on the non ABS model. Simply remove the upper bolt via the right hand side of the bike.

On ABS models the right side is a tangled mess of hydraulic tubes. It's not a simple task to get access this way. I've removed the battery and have just enough visibility to get a wrench on it. I might be able to get it out but I'm concerned I will not be able to put the bolt back in again when I replace the shock.

I'm now thinking to remove the tank and see what access I can get from that side.

Bottom line: Can someone who has experience with the rear shock removal and replacement on an ABS model share their knowledge with me? It would be greatly appreciated.:cheers:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
I have twice removed and put back a shock on my 2005 ABS model (put a Nitron shock on and then again after it blew a seal a year later and it was fixed under warranty). It's a pain but doable. A second pair of hands to keep pressure on the top bolt when putting the nut back on is helpful and prevents girlie crying when it falls down repeatedly and you have to look for it each time after it has bounced across the floor.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I have twice removed and put back a shock on my 2005 ABS model (put a Nitron shock on and then again after it blew a seal a year later and it was fixed under warranty). It's a pain but doable. A second pair of hands to keep pressure on the top bolt when putting the nut back on is helpful and prevents girlie crying when it falls down repeatedly and you have to look for it each time after it has bounced across the floor.
Yen

How do you rate the Nitron? My 2005 Vara is now getting due for some TLC in the sussies area, and I am wondering refurb or new?

Revs in the West Midlands will rebuild both ends for me, but not cheap. It's a big call as the bike is on 30K miles and although she runs like a watch, I am wondering on a lighter bike as pillion work is not an option for my SO nowadays...:(

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Steve, if you refurb the shock, the money has gone once you sell the bike, if you buy a half decent aftermarket shock, at least you can put your presumably ok back shock back on come sale time & recoup some of the aftermarket shock by selling on.

BTW, I fitted a little used Nitron to the VStrom, while it is better than oe shock, it's not that much better.

Just a thought, from one ex-armer to a gentleman farmer :)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Steve, if you refurb the shock, the money has gone once you sell the bike, if you buy a half decent aftermarket shock, at least you can put your presumably ok back shock back on come sale time & recoup some of the aftermarket shock by selling on.

BTW, I fitted a little used Nitron to the VStrom, while it is better than oem shock, it's not that much better.

Just a thought, from one ex-farmer to a gentleman farmer :)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
VERY good point there Phil. I really need to make a 2-3 year forward decision I guess on my intentions. I would like to go smaller, as I don't anticpate any pillion work in the future, but I still love that lazy big V twin motor, it's just a heavy old beast!!

I would fit an OEM to be honest, but they are like hens teeth other than from Latvia,or similar far flung locations which does not fill me full of confidence! Although, I note that there are a couple of German sellers with stock now on fleabay!

My riding buddy from Stourbridge had Wilbers fitted, fore and aft at considerable expense on his Tiger 955, but loves what it did to the bike, as it should for 12-1300 pounds... For the Vara, a Wilber rear is around £600, Hyper £400 and YSS £300 :-( Remote preload another 150 or so. Hagon (which I know you do not rate) are around 4-500 with remote, as I recall.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
so has anybody done anything with the forks is there progressive springs available for them ? would a change of the weight of oil stiffen them up make them more plush . I have only ever changed fork seals and installed progressive springs on bikes but what about the other bits within the forks . is there much can be done . I take it the varadero has showa forks of 43mm or what ever . while the topic is being discussed I know you men are a wealth of information and I am keen to learn about this kind of stuff as I am sure lots of others . I know one of the lads hear has fitted a fork brace on his varadero 1000 and there is none available as stock so he had to figure out from what bike he could use one from and with some modification he made it work . I remember being very impressed with the mod :cool:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
YenHow do you rate the Nitron? My 2005 Vara is now getting due for some TLC in the sussies area, and I am wondering refurb or new?Revs in the West Midlands will rebuild both ends for me, but not cheap. It's a big call as the bike is on 30K miles and although she runs like a watch, I am wondering on a lighter bike as pillion work is not an option for my SO nowadays...:(
The shock did make a difference as it should if it has been made for your weight/pillion weight/ luggage weight. You have to fill out a questionaire before ordering.I got mine through Rugged Roads and I'm glad I did because whilst still within the warranty period it lost its oil as i arrived at work one day. I thought my bike had overheated as the oil sprayed all over the rear down pipe and the smoke/steam was unbelievable. Rugged Roads sorted out the rebuild under warranty for me.Later on I got progressive fork springs fitted as well. With the suspension upgrade, the handlebar risers and the aftermarket seat it really did become like an armchair. If it hadn't been for the ropy fueling and the constantly blowing exhaust gasket I might have kept it going to mega miles.I have thought about fitting a Nitron to my Versys, waiting for the OE shock to show signs of distress etc , but so far (50,000 miles) it is still the most stable bike with luggage I have ever owned and I'm loathe to fiddle in that area.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
The shock did make a difference as it should if it has been made for your weight/pillion weight/ luggage weight. You have to fill out a questionaire before ordering.I got mine through Rugged Roads and I'm glad I did because whilst still within the warranty period it lost its oil as i arrived at work one day. I thought my bike had overheated as the oil sprayed all over the rear down pipe and the smoke/steam was unbelievable. Rugged Roads sorted out the rebuild under warranty for me.Later on I got progressive fork springs fitted as well. With the suspension upgrade, the handlebar risers and the aftermarket seat it really did become like an armchair. If it hadn't been for the ropy fueling and the constantly blowing exhaust gasket I might have kept it going to mega miles.I have thought about fitting a Nitron to my Versys, waiting for the OE shock to show signs of distress etc , but so far (50,000 miles) it is still the most stable bike with luggage I have ever owned and I'm loathe to fiddle in that area.
Cheers for that. :thumbup: As you say, if it has been customised for your requirements is should be better...

I did swap out the front fork oil a year or 3 back which did improve the feel at the front a bit, but I have wondered on Progressive springs, as they improved the Transalp dramatically and should have done them when I had them apart :)

Happily, I have not (yet) had the exhaust gasket go, but I am well aware that it is a huge issue for some owners. The fuelling still sometimes ioes it's wobbly, but I know now that if the bike is ridden on a lazy, trailing throttle like in heavy traffic that is moving slowly, when I come to an island or to pull away, I will have had the revs raised just before hand to stop the glitch that will kill the motor. Plan B is a legacy from 2 stroke days..... Whip in the clutch and at the same time, hit the start button and away it goes... Good fuel in the tank helps too...

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
so has anybody done anything with the forks is there progressive springs available for them ? would a change of the weight of oil stiffen them up make them more plush . I have only ever changed fork seals and installed progressive springs on bikes but what about the other bits within the forks . is there much can be done . I take it the Varadero has showa forks of 43mm or what ever . while the topic is being discussed I know you men are a wealth of information and I am keen to learn about this kind of stuff as I am sure lots of others . I know one of the lads hear has fitted a fork brace on his varadero 1000 and there is none available as stock so he had to figure out from what bike he could use one from and with some modification he made it work . I remember being very impressed with the mod :cool:
I think the Vara has brace built into the front mudguard mount...?

The forks were a bit weird as I recall, but all that really meant was I had not seen the like before! ;) Biggest improvement was a tip from Austin ages ago... higher tyre pressures F&B.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Just checked the Hagon site, rear shock is actually £300, but no remote preload available though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts