Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  St3ve 
#1 ·
Hi mates,

its true the blue ones are faster :) , but Im planing to change the rear sprocket to a 42 tooth for better fuel consumption on my 2002 Dero.

Anyone has experience with this setup (16/42) for regular and touring ride?

cheers

#2 ·
Hi LT,

At the moment I am running a 530 chain & sprocket setup.

It's a Cbr929 15 tooth & a Blackbird 44 tooth rear. This enables me to run a std length blackbird chain.

It's practically the same as the oe gearing ratio wise.

I did fit the 16 front & 42 rear a while ago & I think it dropped the cruising revs 1000rpm in top.

It did lose a little performance low down but for touring it would be spot on.

I also looked into fitting a 17 tooth front (530) but the sprockets that fit the spline are narrower so would need some thin washers to take up the play.

Cheers:thumbleft:

#4 ·
just to keep you update,

the bike now feels much smoother and even in engine brake. I do prefer much more this setup cause in highway feels more natural at high speeds.

With my girlf each weights 66kgs the bike doest struggle much and you can only feel it a little is starting from full stop with passenger in a hill.

imo is a great improvement for who only ride on road and make long trips.

cheers

#8 ·
Got the sprocket and seems really good quality. Thought that whilst I was waiting for the new chain to remove the rear wheel, get the old one off and clean it all up. What a bugger to get the sprocket nuts off. Took me longer to get them off than get the whole of the rest of the rear sorted.

Soon as I've got the new bits fitted and have done a bit of mileage I will update the thread with my thoughts.

#11 · (Edited)
When I remove the rear sprocket nut's or rear disc bolts, I get someone to sit on the bike & press the rear brake to stop the wheel from turning.

Then crack each nut/bolt with a breaker bar. Turning the wheel a little each time to gain access to each nut/bolt.

On changing the chain, I try to get my hands on an unbroken chain & fit it by removing the foot peg. It's only a few nuts'n bolts & I find it far easier than peening over a joining link under the bike.

Also, the only reason I fitted a 530 Blackbird chain was because it was a very cheap purchase on eBay & I only bought them because it came with a smart looking Supersprox rear sprocket.

Btw, the Std Blackbird chain is a 110 link item & the Std blackbird rear sprocket is 44 tooth. I fitted a Cbr 929 15 tooth sprocket to keep the gearing close to standard, I find it's the best of both worlds.

The final gearing is practically the same when this combination is fitted, but has the advantage of a final drive that should last longer than the thinner 525 Std Varadero gearing. Maybe something to consider if your doing long tours.

One last point, if anyone does go down the road of upgrading to 530 chain & Std size sprockets, the early YAMAHA R6 5EB 99 02 rear sprockets fit.

Same register hole & mounting pcd. The Yamaha mounting holes are 10mm & the Honda are 12mm, Supersprox sprockets come with both size holes pre drilled.

Sorry if you know this info already :thumbright:

#12 · (Edited)
Bit of an update for this thread. I've changed my rear sprocket to a 42t and a 510 chain. As everything in life it's got its pros and cons. It was simple to do but I do have a breaker and rivetter. I split the old chain the attached the front of the new one to the rear of the old one and pulled it around the front sprocket. Replacement chain and sprocket are of really good quality as well. I find all the gears a lot more useable and gear changes very smooth. The 5th gear is now much better for touring as the revs are lower and it seems less vibey.
I can't comment on the fuel efficiency side as I've not had it on for long enough.
I find myself using first and second a lot more around town but as said above, there a lot more useable now.
With all the additions I've made it's one of the better ones and one I would recommend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.