Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i've had a search but got nowhere so whats the ride like on your AT with the standard setup, mine is very hard on the rear, front end is fine the rear has the standard spring preload and is on the softest damping setting but every little bump is slamed into my arse all the big whoopty doopty stuff it's ok on. It only seems to effect the high speed compression (if the AT shock has that) I had a brand new AT in 93 and remember the suspenders being lovely and plush or is my age showing:confused:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My shock felt like that before I replaced it. Problem with mine was a combination of the spring which had lost most of its "spring" and the shock which had very little damping left. Is you AT dragging it's arse a bit?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No everything looks right when you sit on it it feels nice and soft its just those little bumps like stones or broken tarmac:confused:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm no expert but it sounds like it's lost it's damping. Fortunately those shocks are serviceable so should not brake the bank completely to get it refurbished.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for taking the time to reply Lootch thought there would have been more than one reply with over 100 views everyone else must be riding their bikes or don't actually ride their bikes so don't know how it feels on the road:confused:
Anyway most probably will get the shock rebuilt but it wont be this year:thumb:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
the RD03/4 I have has very hard rear suspension, mentioned it to AfricaJim when out on a run , and he recalled his was the same.. I have messed with the damping and it makes no difference, was contemplating having it rebuilt in the winter and may be putting in a hypopro progressive rear spring and matching front springs, as the front dives a bit to say the least.... I have been trawling the site and web for a replacement and thay can be real expensive.. I picked up a mint shock for an RD07 on Ebay ( less than a 1000 miles and looks new, cost less than a refurb so I chanced it ) but it is longer than the RD04 and clashes with the Air box.. it is the new RDO7 as it has no damping adjustment..

you looking for a RD07 shock?

cheers
Ray

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Yes, the two shocks have different routes for the reservoir pipe. I have my old RD07a (without damping, unlike the RD07 and RD04) and an RD04 shock I bought to try as comparison as well. I figured they would make good bases for a full refurbishment - I heard damping adjustment etc can be added by the companies that do such things.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Yes, the two shocks have different routes for the reservoir pipe. I have my old RD07a (without damping, unlike the RD07 and RD04) and an RD04 shock I bought to try as comparison as well. I figured they would make good bases for a full refurbishment - I heard damping adjustment etc can be added by the companies that do such things.

yup 90 degree difference in the pipe connection .. its a RD07A one I have then, as the resevoir had no damping.. its mint so will punt in on :angel5:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
sold my RD07A shock to TrophyDave, sorry DRLaner ..

now on the hunt for an RD04/3 one , as they are differnt , dont you know :rolleyes:

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Raymo, are you after one to rebuild? The one I have may be Ok, but since someone painted the reservoir in what appears to be white emulsion I wouldn't like to guess. Ever as far south as Fife?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Raymo, are you after one to rebuild? The one I have may be Ok, but since someone painted the reservoir in what appears to be white emulsion I wouldn't like to guess. Ever as far south as Fife?

yup just after one to refurb :thumbup:

wil pm you :)

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Cool - mine's free to a good home as I have to move it soon anyway. Unfortunately we're moving out of the Kingdom to West Lothian, and it's one more thing to move, so...

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Cool - mine's free to a good home as I have to move it soon anyway. Unfortunately we're moving out of the Kingdom to West Lothian, and it's one more thing to move, so...

woohoo got a good home for it... notice I cant pm you but I can be contacted on ray3656 at btinternet dot com..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey Raymo,
If and when you do overhaul would you like to do some pics and bullet points on how you do it.?:thumbup:

Just incase i have to overhaul mine.:confused:

Cheers Li.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hey Raymo,
If and when you do overhaul would you like to do some pics and bullet points on how you do it.?:thumbup:

Just incase i have to overhaul mine.:confused:

Cheers Li.

that will be a picture of me posting it to someone that knows what there doing ::thumbup:

will post some pics as I am thinking of shorterning it 15mm ( drops the rear wheel 40mm ) and fitting a hypo pro progressive spring...

winter time project though ( given the weather that will be a few weeks away :rolleyes::cool::confused: )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts